PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] M-Audio Delta 66 compatible or not?

nlz
August 21st, 2008, 01:26 PM
I've ordered a m-audio delta 66 after researching what would be the best soundcard for our radio studio, but now someone posted that the new delta 66 soundcards (produced in or after 2007) are no longer compatible with Linux! Can anyone confirm that the new soundcards are working, or not?

jukingeo
October 2nd, 2008, 01:26 PM
I've ordered a m-audio delta 66 after researching what would be the best soundcard for our radio studio, but now someone posted that the new delta 66 soundcards (produced in or after 2007) are no longer compatible with Linux! Can anyone confirm that the new soundcards are working, or not?

I bought an M-Audio Delta 44 from Musicans Friend and received it yesterday. I installed the card last night and it was automagically recognized...not only in Ubuntu Studio, but my other Linux distros as well.

I was not aware of any issues with the Delta line. I was always told they are automatically recognized. After months of struggling with sound, it was a huge sigh of relief to find out that everyone was right. As far as I know, the Delta 66 and 44 are supposed to be identical with the exception of the SPDIF in/outs that are present on the Delta 66.

If M-Audio made a change ONLY in the Delta 66, then it may be possible that the new version doesn't work.

I will say that the Delta line is much older than I thought. Upon reading the manual (prior to installation), I noticed that it covered installations from Windows 95 up to Windows NT. Nothing is mentioned of ME, XP, or Vista. I didn't bother with the driver disk that came with the card because I always download the latest driver from the company. On the website they DO have a Windows XP driver. (I am on a dual boot system with Linux and Windows XP, so I need sound to work in both, hence the need for a Windows XP driver).

If this is true that the new Delta 66 isn't working, then it will probably be safe to say that M-Audio may redo the entire Delta line (perhaps for better compliance with Vista???) and I bet it will be a while before they develop new Linux drivers.

I would say that if you are unsure, get the Delta 44. Mine is working fine. I just have to find a good volume control app so I can control the sound better than using the text based AlsaMixer.

Geo