PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ive Got Problems.

yay101
August 21st, 2008, 11:56 AM
Hey all.
I've got a few problems with ubuntu 8.04 X86_64 that i would love to have fixed.

Firstly a little background. Been using ubuntu for the whole of 3 days. I have built apps from tarballs successfully. I have installed wine, steam, and the ati graphics driver successfully (almost, look below) and have used terminal a fair bit.

Firstly, ubuntu seems to have forgotten which driver to use for my X800 and the "hardware drivers" app no longer displays the driver as being the Ati (C) one.

Secondly, After login the screen goes white, many people report this as compiz error and i agree. But it worked fine for a day or two before giving this error. Could the driver be affecting this also? when this occurs i can safely ctrl + alt + backspace and login as gnome failsafe. I really liked my squishy interface :( .

Thirdly, I am a XFi user. yes i know, i know follow the other people examples. Small problem, i dont understand enough to work out everything they say. So if someone could outline the packages needed and perhaps the apt-get for that package it would make me very happy.

I have successfully installed OSS to get my front speakers putting out sound. But apparently i can use all my speakers with ALSA and creative's driver.

yay101
August 21st, 2008, 02:19 PM
Thankyou to everyone who had a look at the thread. but i ave worked it out. i think.

1. The Ati graphics driver problem was fixed by reinstalling the linux-source and reinstalling the drivers off of that. i think something broke during an update.

2. Guess what. It WAS the graphics driver. *note for other sufferers of the white screen*

3. Still downloading Linux source (full), but its looking promising. Using:http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=4823915&postcount=675

If i could i would marry amtam for making such a usefull and well thought out tutorial that even a 3 day user such as myself could have used.