PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Searching For Linux/Mac/Windows External HD

verymanley
August 21st, 2008, 06:41 AM
Hi,

I have several desktops running Linux and Windows OS's and a McBook running Vista and Ubuntu through VMware Fusion. I want to buy an external HD to store lots of movies (1TB would be nice).

It would be awesome if I could find an external HD that I could use on all OS's under one format. Does anyone know of such an external HD? Format? Any way to do this? Or am I hoping for too much?

clueless
August 21st, 2008, 07:03 AM
I would think that most -if not all- external USB or eSATA HDs would work with linux and I guess with Windows and OSX too. The only problem would be how to format it. We know that windows only reads/writes on FAT or NTFS and linux can write on these too. I am not sure about OSX, but I think it can read FAT volumes, I have no idea about NTFS.

verymanley
August 21st, 2008, 07:12 AM
Thanks

Sounds like it can be done. As far as hardware is concerned should I worry about compatibility with Ubuntu?

bitninja
August 21st, 2008, 07:17 AM
Ubuntu can read and write to NTFS out of the box anymore, OS X can also after you install MacFUSE and the NTFS-3G Mac driver at

http://macntfs-3g.blogspot.com/

I'm actually using that right now on my 10.5 Leopard machine, which works great. So either way, NTFS or FAT32 should be fine, as all of the OSes can read and write to NTFS or FAT32.

verymanley
August 21st, 2008, 07:26 AM
Thanks

That answers my question. :)

bitninja
August 21st, 2008, 07:26 AM
No problem! :)

clueless
August 21st, 2008, 08:35 AM
should I worry about compatibility with Ubuntu?

I don't think so, but when you decide on the HD you want to buy make a google search and see if anyone is having any kind of problems with the specific model. But I find it highly improbable.

prshah
August 21st, 2008, 08:36 AM
It would be awesome if I could find an external HD that I could use on all OS's under one format.

I would suggest buying a normal SATA HDD, and an external USB/Firewire enclosure; you can then format the HDD to ntfs, which can be used in all (practically) operating systems.

The advantage of buying HDD and enclosure seperately instead of a readymade external drive:

a) It's cheaper
b) HDD's carry (usually) a 5 year warranty; but external hdd's are usually only given a 1 year warranty, though they are essentially the same thing.

Disadvantages:
a) The enclosure carries only a 1 year warranty
b) If you're looking at a NAS type network storage device, then this (SATA HDD+ External USB case) is not a clean option.

verymanley
August 21st, 2008, 05:26 PM
Thanks,

Ill look into it.