PDA

View Full Version : GimPhoto 1.4.3 for Linux released - free Photoshop alternative

gimphoto
August 21st, 2008, 05:01 AM
hi :)
this is a great news for you that using Linux and in search for Photoshop alternative... GimPhoto 1.4.3 for Linux is released.

GimPhoto for Linux installer is useful for all Linux distro such as Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Fedora, OpenSUSE, etc.

GimPhoto 1.4.3 for Linux has all great features that same with GimPhoto 1.4.3 for Windows.
but for you that not familiar with GimPhoto, this is a short description about it:

GimPhoto is GIMP modification that:
- based on new stable GIMP 2.4.
- new menu layout like PS.
- new shortcuts like PS.
- CMYK separation.
- Layer Effects.
- new brushset and gradientset.
- packed with 20+ plugins and scripts to fill missing PS function on GIMP.
for example: Save for Web, Slice for Web, Batch Process, etc.
- packed with many photographic filters like Noise Reduction, B/W and IR.

for more detailed information, go to http://www.gimphoto.com

Notes: I also asking for help:
- please, provide mirror GimPhoto for Linux as single package.
- please, create .deb or .rpm for GimPhoto for Linux.
- please, spread the word about GimPhoto ... thanks a lot... (^__^)=b

update: 26/08/2008
for users that already download it before 26/08/2008, please re-download it again, there is a problem with the files.

i'm really sorry for this much trouble, there is explanation about it at GimPhoto site.
i already fix the installation files and also give more detailed installation instructions.

update: 06/09/2008
change download location from uploader.polorix.net to tuxfamily.org
because uploader.polorix.net is closed.

update: 10/09/2008
single file installer now available at tuxfamily.org
now GimPhoto for Linux is easier to install and compatible with ALL Linux distro.

please report back to this thread about your installation progress, thanks a lot for your support!

Orlsend
August 21st, 2008, 07:11 AM
Is that Like a Add-on to our Gimp like GimpShop?

the yawner
August 21st, 2008, 07:49 AM
Is that Like a Add-on to our Gimp like GimpShop?

From the website.

GimPhoto is GIMP modification with new menu layout, great selection of plugins, and many additional resources for more professional look and feel as digital photo retouching and image editing application package.

Orlsend
August 21st, 2008, 08:41 AM
OK ill wait for the .deb file

airtonix
August 21st, 2008, 10:09 AM
So i visited your website and i can't find any files for the linux version.

joshdudeha
August 21st, 2008, 01:58 PM
Yeah, would like to try it out... when a .deb comes out ;|

smartboyathome
August 21st, 2008, 09:30 PM
So i visited your website and i can't find any files for the linux version.

Linux version is on the google project page here (http://code.google.com/p/gimphoto/downloads/list). Isn't very easy to find. If you want to make a true Photoshop alternative for GIMP, though, you need to combine the main GIMP window and the image window, as there will always be people who complain.

gimphoto
August 22nd, 2008, 11:58 AM
Orlsend,
Gimpshop is based on old Gimp 2.2 with no additional plugins and GimPhoto is based on new Gimp 2.4 + additional plugins and resources.

airtonix,
click on "Read more..." the "GimPhoto 1.4.3 for Linux released", there is download files and installation instructions.

smartboyathome,
may be you can try to use GIMP 2.5 dev that has new UI.

i built my installer using InstallJammer (http://www.installjammer.com).
InstallJammer is easy to use cross platform package manager that built using Tcl/Tk, so my installer will be usable not only for Debian user but for all Linux distro.

but the real reason is...built DEB package is really difficult, sorry :(

loell
August 22nd, 2008, 12:09 PM
where is the source code?

Xfcn
August 22nd, 2008, 09:51 PM
I very honestly don't get the big deal about GIMPshop and apparantly GimPhoto. Here's a screenshot of my computer using GIMP 2.4.5 straight up (no custom brewing). Maybe the plugins have something to do with it? Maybe. But I can do the only effects I need by hand (and prefer to do them that way) or with the current filters.

Thus far the only thing I cannot do in GIMP that I could easily do in Photoshop is half-tone. The newspaper effect just doesn't cut it for what I need it to do. I literally need the old half-tone patterned brushes like they used to have back on MacPaint.

loell
August 22nd, 2008, 11:34 PM
on related news, gimp 2.5 development release is now available for download.

smartboyathome
August 23rd, 2008, 03:31 AM
Screenshot of a reconfigured GIMP 2.5 for comparison to GimPhoto. :D

Note that the toolbox is actually a window witht he border set to "borderless". It is also set to transient in GIMP's settings window.

I will install this when the source becomes available. Without the source becoming available, I won't be able to use it alongside my current 2.5 install.

exploder
August 23rd, 2008, 02:17 PM
Thanks for the screensot! Gimp is looking really good!

JP1990
August 23rd, 2008, 02:21 PM
nice ill download asap photoshop rules thats why i have my mac but gimp is pretty dam good too :)

gimphoto
August 23rd, 2008, 07:13 PM
loell,
if you read GimPhoto site carefully then you will see the news about "GimPhoto Source Code released", sorry for not display the link at Downloads section, GimPhoto site is still a bit mess :)

The source code is already released, even before i can compile it under Linux.
get it from here: GimPhoto Source Code Downloads (http://www.gimphoto.com/2008/05/gimphoto-source-code-release.html)

Xfcn,
i use Photoshop since 3.0 and now everyday at my work but when at home i used GIMP (now use GimPhoto), i always got headache because this 2 program is very different and for every processing image step i must remember 2 different workflow, one for PS and another for GIMP and now GimPhoto is reducing my headache, so i thought maybe others had a problem like this too then i release GimPhoto :)

i create GimPhoto for attracts more PS users to use Linux (even Google pay programmers to help WINE so can run CS2, PS is the most app that requested by Linux user, if GIMP can fulfill the need then why they still ask PS so badly? i just want to show to PS user that GIMP is also powerful as PS if it has better UI)

GimPhoto menu only about 60% same with PS but still using GIMP menu naming convention (menu location is changed but menu title is still the same with GIMP) and menu is also improved with special menu for photography related functions that even Photoshop menu doesn't have.

for more detailed information maybe you can take a look at (this for older version, there is some new features that not covered yet): GimPhoto Features (http://www.gimphoto.com/2007/08/features.html)

and now... even photographer scream about better RAW workflow under Linux... is there anybody interested working on GIMP-Lightroom? :)
News link: http://jcornuz.wordpress.com/2008/08/21/using-linux-for-photography-where-we-stand/

V for Vincent
August 24th, 2008, 10:26 AM
You know, I'm not a hardcore gimp user and I've never used PS, but I really commend your efforts. Regardless of whether some people feel they don't need certain PS features, you're making an effort to improve gimp, which is, of course, what FOSS is about.

Xfcn
August 24th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Well it's a good resource and I'm pointing my artist friends who don't want to use a hacked version of Photoshop but do want to continue using windows to both this and GimpShop (and I of course point out that the original GIMP is pretty awesome).

picpak
August 24th, 2008, 09:06 PM
This 5-part download is silly. It isn't hard to debianize packages. If there's a link to the source that isn't separated in 5 parts I'll try it out.

picpak
August 24th, 2008, 09:29 PM
I can't compile your program; this is what I get:

gcc: .libs/gimpbasetypes.o: No such file or directory
gcc: .libs/gimpbase-private.o: No such file or directory
gcc: .libs/gimpchecks.o: No such file or directory
gcc: .libs/gimpcpuaccel.o: No such file or directory
gcc: .libs/gimpdatafiles.o: No such file or directory
gcc: .libs/gimpenv.o: No such file or directory
gcc: .libs/gimpmemsize.o: No such file or directory
gcc: .libs/gimpparasite.o: No such file or directory
gcc: .libs/gimpparasiteio.o: No such file or directory
gcc: .libs/gimpprotocol.o: No such file or directory
gcc: .libs/gimprectangle.o: No such file or directory
gcc: .libs/gimpreloc.o: No such file or directory
gcc: .libs/gimpsignal.o: No such file or directory
gcc: .libs/gimpunit.o: No such file or directory
gcc: .libs/gimputils.o: No such file or directory
gcc: .libs/gimpwire.o: No such file or directory
gcc: .libs/xdg-user-dir.o: No such file or directory
make[3]: *** [libgimpbase-2.0.la] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/kim/gimphoto-1.4.3/libgimpbase'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/kim/gimphoto-1.4.3'
make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/kim/gimphoto-1.4.3'
make: *** [build-stamp] Error 2
dpkg-buildpackage: failure: debian/rules build gave error exit status 2

gimphoto
August 25th, 2008, 02:42 AM
Vincent,
thanks for positive feedback :)

Xfcn,
thanks for refering GimPhoto to your friend :)

picpak,
sorry, the source code is released long time ago when i still can't compile it under Linux, i got the same error :)
next month i will release the new updated source code that compile-able because my internet bandwith already excess its limit.

oh and the source code is only deliver with standard plugins and missing from 20+ additional plugins or new brushset, this because i add it one by one into program folder after succesful compile it.

airtonix
August 25th, 2008, 06:49 AM
Using ubuntu 8.04 32bit, I haven't uninstalled gimp yet.

I followed your instructions to merge the split archives into one, then running the gimphoto-1.4.3_setup file in term produces this error :

"application-specific initialization failed: bad end of central directory record"

I am then left at a % prompt.

gimphoto
August 26th, 2008, 02:32 PM
airtonix, everybody,
i'm really sorry for this much trouble, there is explanation about it at GimPhoto site. I have updated the files and also give more detailed installation instructions, please try to download again.

please report back to this thread about your installation progress, thanks a lot for your support! (^__^)=b

AJB2K3
August 26th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Is anyone working on creating a .deb file yet?

gimphoto
September 6th, 2008, 10:41 AM
AJB2K3,
sorry not yet available but i working on it, just wish me luck ;)

Anybody,
that can't download from last week, please check again GimPhoto for Linux NEW Downloads location. (http://www.gimphoto.com/2008/08/gimphoto-143-for-linux-released.html)

Appearently old download location is closed so the files is moved to the new location with more reliable services, thanks to tuxfamily.org :)

lyceum
September 6th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Is there a way to use the extra features GimPhoto has on GIMP? I do not know how to use PhotoShop, but I wouldn't mind using the extra features w/out the PS setup.

gimphoto
September 10th, 2008, 05:50 PM
lyceum,
you can need to install this resources:
- install 20+ plugins and scripts.
- install iceytina brushset, get from:
Iceytina beautiful brushset (http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/lists/gimp-developer/2007-September/018666.html)
- install dezinerfolio gradientset, get from:
130 Ultimate Web 2.0 Gradients (http://gimp-tutorials.net/130-UltimateWeb20-Gradients-for-Gimp/)

everybody,
single file installer for GimPhoto is now available, this will make instalation process much easier and compatible for ALL Linux distro.

lyceum
September 11th, 2008, 12:07 AM
lyceum,
you can need to install this resources:
- install 20+ plugins and scripts.
- install iceytina brushset, get from:
Iceytina beautiful brushset (http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/lists/gimp-developer/2007-September/018666.html)
- install dezinerfolio gradientset, get from:
130 Ultimate Web 2.0 Gradients (http://gimp-tutorials.net/130-UltimateWeb20-Gradients-for-Gimp/)

everybody,
single file installer for GimPhoto is now available, this will make instalation process much easier and compatible for ALL Linux distro.

Thanks! :)

gimphoto
October 20th, 2008, 09:58 PM
New Tutorial about howto preserve photo EXIF data using GimPhoto posted.

Neon Lights
October 21st, 2008, 11:59 PM
Any chance of a version based on 2.6 being released soon? ;)

gimphoto
October 29th, 2008, 05:37 AM
Neon Lights,
sorry for late reply, GIMP 2.6 is still a moving target, many changes happening under the image processing functions and user interface code then i still wait and see, for further explanation read GimPhoto roadmap (http://www.gimphoto.com/2008/10/gimphoto-roadmap-after-gimp-260-release.html)

icodeme
October 29th, 2008, 07:20 AM
Which of those in google should I download if Im int Ubuntu Hardy Heron?:confused:

gimphoto
November 9th, 2008, 02:12 PM
icodeme,
sorry for very late reply, but you can follow the instructions on Downloads page on the GimPhoto site, or directly to GimPhoto for Linux download page (http://www.gimphoto.com/2008/08/gimphoto-143-for-linux-released.html).

GimPhoto for Linux installer is usable for all Linux distro (the required libraries dependencies is the same as Gimp 2.4.5)