PDA

View Full Version : Linux Programmer's Guide Man Pages

Pink Floyd
December 22nd, 2004, 10:49 PM
I need them installed so I can use them trough the command line.
I searched them but I only found html, tex, pdf etc versions, but I need the "man" version.

Can someone help me?
Thank you

Juergen
December 23rd, 2004, 11:45 AM
If it's not at tldp I'd think you have to try to convert this thing yourself.

But:
Can't you just use the html-version with a text-browser like lynx or links?

HiddenWolf
December 25th, 2004, 05:43 PM
But:
Can't you just use the html-version with a text-browser like lynx or links?
By far the easiest option, if you ask me.

yentingchen
December 26th, 2004, 04:38 AM
I searched them but I only found html, tex, pdf etc versions, but I need the "man" version.

Can someone help me?
Thank you
Hi, maybe this is what you needs:

cyt@ubuntu:~> apt-cache search manpages-dev
manpages-dev - Manual pages about using GNU/Linux for development

duff
January 10th, 2005, 09:50 PM

Thank you!

Viro
January 20th, 2005, 01:15 AM

Good call. I've been looking for that package for some time now. thanks

sainter54
August 15th, 2006, 08:09 AM
The manpages-dev isn't on apt-get anymore. Is there something else I can download to get these Man Pages????

X.Cyclop
August 15th, 2006, 04:46 PM
The manpages-dev isn't on apt-get anymore. Is there something else I can download to get these Man Pages????
Add extra repos (http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Dapper#How_to_add_extra_repositories) and try again ;)

sainter54
August 18th, 2006, 09:32 AM
That worked perfectly. Thanks for that... Sorry for being a noob...

X.Cyclop
August 20th, 2006, 04:31 AM
That worked perfectly. Thanks for that... Sorry for being a noob...
There's no problem. Nobody's born knowing.:mrgreen:

driplock
January 11th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Great! thanks..this thread helped me also...

imweiwei2
January 31st, 2008, 03:45 AM
For those total beginning, like myself couple days ago, this is what you type in a terminal:

sudo apt-get install manpages-dev

Thanks guys!

akkumaru
May 27th, 2009, 10:00 AM

Can someone help me?
Thank you

it's quite the opposite,,
i need the offline version either in html or pdf (or chm),
where can i find the latest version?

samjh
May 27th, 2009, 10:36 AM
Wow, this thread has been unearthed three times since 2004. Impressive. ;)

Atadam
May 5th, 2012, 12:55 PM
Since you say "Nobody's born knowing"
I might tell that i do not understand!

Vba = short for Visual Basic for Applications, a feature provided by Microsoft Office to get additional functionality for Excel and friends.
Ubuntu = a Linux distribution used as base for Mint,Lubuntu and several other OS.
OS = Operating System
UI = User Interface. UI is the screen in a program where you click buttons to select your choice.
grep = program used to search inside files (type man grep to get help or read rute)
rute = a description on how to use Linux referring to man pages

Since 2 years i try to figure out how Linux is working in order to use it to reprogram a excel table to open standards. Since i have made heavily use of vba (including a UI above Excel) capabilities and learned the whole stuff by using the implemented help file, I can say that help files are growing worse. With win98 you had all the things you need in one file you could rummage and find code examples to alter or to show you how it works. Later you got a search line that is as useful as the dash in ubuntu(you might just try to live within a computer).
Then I recognized that vba will not be supported anymore.
I thought that free software and open standards should be my solution but as long as help files are like this, i might just pee my pants and be happy with the result.

With man pages it does not matter what language they are translated, you get all the time a non descriptive gibberish. Take a look at this:

Das Schlüsselwort ist gewöhnlich ein regulärer Ausdruck und hat den
gleichen Effekt wie (-r). Es kann außerdem nach einer bestimmten Zei‐
chenkette (-e) oder nach Zeichenketten mit Platzhaltern (Wildcards, -w)
gesucht werden. Bei Nutzung dieser Optionen kann es erforderlich sein,
für das Schlüsselwort und Sonderzeichen eine Verarbeitung durch die
Shell zu vermeiden. Für Schlüsselwörter werden dafür Anführungszeichen
und für Sonderzeichen Escape-Sequenzen (\) verwendet.

No need to speak German, you will not understand it, even if English is your native language.
It tells that the keyword has the same effect as -r and does not describe or refer to -r.
-r = recursive, reproaching, rendering, rectal??? How many r words does the English language have?
You might search for strings (whatever they are) and refers to -e. Though, is -e a string is -e a program parameter to help you to refer to strings or is it just there to confuse a little more?
And what type is the string? I can not tell!

İt tells me that i might replace strings with Wild-cards => -w. Wow, i always thought i would search for words when i use grep???? Now it is a program parameter for wild cards like *?..

???....everybody will understand escape sequence like in "sequence", an order of events or symbols. Though escape sequence must be something like (\) where you have to put the symbols “(“ '\' “)” into a sequence in order to escape what???
strg-c....????
I can not tell!
It might be easier to translate from hex to ascii than to understand any man page.
46 55 43 4B 6D 41 6E 50 41 47 45 53 !!!!

Is there anything that allows a dummie like me to understand man pages in order to use Linux to rewrite a program or makes man pages understandable for people who have other things to do than to sleep with their computer???

your dummie M.Peters

PS:The vba code i created consists of over one million signs and about 30 sub functions with heavy math and not to forget the UI with help pages included.