PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing new soundcard

jcr1
August 20th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Hello,

OK so I want a new sound card. My pc output sounds awful, so I guess any new card will be better.

There seem to be a ton of cards on ebay, such as Soundblaster Live 5.1 etc...for like a tenner.

Will this sound better than my motherboard output (or are they less than a tenner for a reason?!) and secondly;

how do new cards work in Ubuntu? Do i just plug it in and it works? Do i need to install drivers? How do I know if the card I buy is supported? How would I get support?

Sorry...lost a bit.

Thanks for your time.

DrMega
August 20th, 2008, 10:19 PM
Soundblaster stuff will be supported. Soundblaster has become almost a standard in its self (back in the olden days many games used to recommend a "Soundblaster" compatible card.

Just whack it in and it should work I reckon.

markbuntu
August 20th, 2008, 10:54 PM
Ummm. people have a lot of issues with SB cards though the live ones seem to work OK. SB has given up on trying to write drivers for linux and sent the specs to the open source driver writers so that is an improvement, at least in their behavior. The Diamond cards work OOB and any card with C-Media chips and they are generally cheaper for comparable/better performance than SB cards.

jcr1
September 4th, 2008, 04:27 PM
OK so I plugged it in and yes it just worked...BUT there is no improvement in sound over using the onboard headphones jack.

Sound quality is low and crap and crushes when you turn the volume up. Is it possible to improve the performance of the card? Its a soundblaster live.

jcr1
September 10th, 2008, 07:15 PM
Now I have no sound coming out my sound card.

It worked for a while but now I can't get any sound out of it.

The onboardd mobo sound still outputs, but not the new card.

What do I need to do?

Thanks in advance.

jcr1
September 10th, 2008, 07:49 PM
ah found another post where the user disabled the onboard mobo sound card in bios. That did the trick.

Still unsatifactory sound tho. I need to turn the TV (what its currently plugged into) up much more than say the normal TV. And the sound sounds like it is pulsing up and down a bit...

Any ideas?