PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Auto-create playlists from subfolders

ejfuld
August 20th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Hi,
I'm a relatively new Ubuntu user (~2 months) weening myself off windows. Thanks to all who've contributed to this excellent software.
Before I start: I'm using a fully updated 64-bit Hardy with GNOME desktop.

Is there any program that can automatically make playlists by subfolder, so each subfolder containing music gets it's own playlist?

I have a ton of music much of which confuses tagging software (poorly tagged concerts, non-english operas, etc.) I'm trying to create playlists for my ipod. I've found stuff that can get my existing playlists off my ipod (woefully behind my actual music collection.) and stuff that lets me manually create new playlists (as I did in windows.) However, I'm hoping this can be one of those places where open-source can do better.
While the file names and tags are inconsistent and often quite bad, my directory structure is more or less how I want the music organized. I have one huge folder and sub-folders each representing albums and concerts (sometimes several layers of folders.) If there is that would save me a huge amount of time because I'd only have to manually adjust it for the few places where I screwed up the directory structure.

Thank you guys in advance. The only reason this is my first time posting instead of my 50th is because of all the helpful responses to other people's posts that so many of you took the time to make.
-E

Hooya
June 1st, 2009, 08:39 PM
I'm looking for a similar solution. I found a .bat file for Windows, but can't get it to work in Virtualbox or using Wine.

Any ideas from the rest of the community?

inzaneg
September 9th, 2009, 11:29 PM
closest I've gotten.
A script for kde called "Recursively create M3U playlists"

http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Desktop-Environment/Tools/Recursively-create-M3U-playlists-24422.shtml