PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu on Dell XPS M1730

Githlar
August 20th, 2008, 01:28 PM
I'm thinking about getting one of these. Does anybody have any experience with installing Ubuntu on one? There don't seem to be any reports in the LaptopTestingTeam wiki section on this particular model, so I figured this would be the next best place to go. I'm looking for some common pitfalls, things that don't work, etc. With so many customizations possible with this particular laptop, I'd like to know as much as possible about it.

One particular example I'm curious about is the Physics Processing Unit. I know it won't work in Linux, however if I get it, is it still possible to use Linux out of the box? Do you have to tweak some things to get it to work with a PPU (eg, blacklist it)?

Blueray reader/burner: Is it Linux compaitible?

Any info on specific non-working components or components that need specific set-up/tweaking to get them working would be fantastic.

You all rock,
Githlar

macabro22
November 5th, 2008, 02:58 AM
I'm thinking about getting one of these. Does anybody have any experience with installing Ubuntu on one? There don't seem to be any reports in the LaptopTestingTeam wiki section on this particular model, so I figured this would be the next best place to go. I'm looking for some common pitfalls, things that don't work, etc. With so many customizations possible with this particular laptop, I'd like to know as much as possible about it.

One particular example I'm curious about is the Physics Processing Unit. I know it won't work in Linux, however if I get it, is it still possible to use Linux out of the box? Do you have to tweak some things to get it to work with a PPU (eg, blacklist it)?

Blueray reader/burner: Is it Linux compaitible?

Any info on specific non-working components or components that need specific set-up/tweaking to get them working would be fantastic.

You all rock,
Githlar

Everything works out of the box here, except some media keys. To get the mini-LCD display you have to install g15daemon.

You don't have to blacklist the Ageia device. I don't know weather it works or not cuz the only games that use it to my knowledge are windows games, and even there, there aren't many.

If you need more info let me know.