PDA

View Full Version : new Desktop

sebbss
August 20th, 2008, 10:11 AM
My litle brother (11 year) was drawing ones an desktop. I saw this and asked if I could make it on the computer so I drew it on the computer an asked if could try to make someting like it.
It is supposed to be easy but I think it should be easy to use to. Wat do you Think.?

(I atached a litle picture)

On the top you see a bar with programs, computer... but also music, videos so dis gives it a little media center in it.

On the bottem bar the currently running applications picture is displayd. And on mouse over it shows the name. Ans also a clock.

The window manager is verry easy because to maximize a window you just move the window to the top of the screen.
To close a window you just drag it to a garbage on the right of the bottem bar.
And to minimize you just drag it to the bottem bar to the place you want to minimize.

This are just ideas for an easy desktop enviroment.

xakh
August 20th, 2008, 07:20 PM
Looks... interesting. It needs a lot, A lot of work, to make this truly usable. It's got promise, but it's really rough around the edges.

SphereCat1
August 20th, 2008, 08:49 PM
I made a quick mockup of my version of this, I condensed the top bar into two menus to give it a cleaner look, and gave it a blue color scheme with an orange background, for no particular reason. Whattaya think?

The green spots are where icons would go, the red one is for the ubuntu logo menu. (I didn't have time to find my ubuntu logo.)

SphereCat1

smn8600
August 20th, 2008, 08:55 PM
That's pretty hilarious... I would totally use this... For like, 12 seconds, but it would still be funny. "HEY GIEZ, LOOK AT MEH DESKTAWP LOL!"

smn8600
August 20th, 2008, 09:01 PM
Didn't mean to offend anyone... But more seriously, that wouldn't be a bad layout for a child's desktop. Not quite sure how young their using computer's at now-days. Very simple, big text/easy to read, fun colors etc.

lyceum
August 21st, 2008, 04:22 AM
that wouldn't be a bad layout for a child's desktop. Not quite sure how young their using computer's at now-days. Very simple, big text/easy to read, fun colors etc.

This is what I was thinking, it is perfect for a child's PC. I would love to see this to a PC my kids could use. They are 3 and under, they use the computer to play games and surf the web (kid's sites).

sebbss
August 21st, 2008, 09:14 AM
Maybe it could be a childs desktop.
SphereCat1 your picture looks good. Maybe i can use your design.

airtonix
August 21st, 2008, 10:12 AM
lolz, surely this isn't intended to be a literal demonstration of how it will look but rather a mock-up of how elements will be positioned?

From the original picture up in the first post, i think all that is needed to complete the concept is a gnome-applet that allows you to create a custom menu.

Although, at this point I am wondering why you couldn't use openbox to implement this setup.

openbox: window+desktop manager
thunar/pcmanfm : filemanager
listen: musicplayer

sebbss
August 21st, 2008, 12:28 PM
I made a new one with nicer colors. (as attachment)

joshdudeha
August 21st, 2008, 02:02 PM
I think having the "Documents, Videos, Music" etc all scrunched up at the top wouldn't be a good idea. There'd be no room on the panel.

Should make a nice looking one though.
I'll see what I can do later? Got a lot of coursework to do at the moment.

xakh
August 21st, 2008, 07:58 PM
I made a quick mockup of my version of this, I condensed the top bar into two menus to give it a cleaner look, and gave it a blue color scheme with an orange background, for no particular reason. Whattaya think?

The green spots are where icons would go, the red one is for the ubuntu logo menu. (I didn't have time to find my ubuntu logo.)

SphereCat1

Sherecat strikes again! You turn every interface you touch into awesome!
By the way, the red interface looks much better than the old one, still a lot of work to be done, but it's getting there! Keep on keepin' on!

sebbss
August 22nd, 2008, 08:37 AM
I think having the "Documents, Videos, Music" etc all scrunched up at the top wouldn't be a good idea. There'd be no room on the panel.

Should make a nice looking one though.
I'll see what I can do later? Got a lot of coursework to do at the moment.

I don't understand whet you mean for what do you need room on the panel?
The minimized application come on the bottom bar if you mean that.

lyceum
August 22nd, 2008, 12:44 PM
You know, I have been thinking and I be you could make Gnome look like this just by making an icon set, and use drawers instead of a menu bar, or is the point to actually make a lighter desktop manager?