PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Making up my mind about dell and ubuntu

Anditsu
August 20th, 2008, 02:14 AM
Greeting Ubuntu Fans,
Tonight I plain on making up my mind about buying a Dell Inspiration,and I need your help! My only hang up seems to be the price of a vista pre-install VS that of Ubuntu. A sales agent told me that theer increase of price is due to the recovery disk. He said that there are feature that due not get offer to the public. Does any one know whats on it and if its worth the money. I would love to support ubuntu,but vista is cheaper and dell supports both hardware and software. You have to pay for ubuntu. But hell I got the best community at my side so who needs it?

Happy Coding
Anditsu

tuxxy
August 20th, 2008, 02:15 AM
Why not build yourself a system, it would be more fun and should be superior to yuor Dell for the same price too!

petedct
August 20th, 2008, 02:20 AM
Why not build yourself a system, it would be more fun and should be superior to yuor Dell for the same price too!

I'm with Tuxxy on that. You'll learn how to do your own tech support. You already know about the great Ubuntu community.

anjilslaire
August 20th, 2008, 02:48 AM
He's getting a laptop. Generally tough to build those ;)

Some things that are included in the Dell-shipped version of Ubuntu are legal codecs to play MP3, as well as LinDVD licensing for DVD playback. This is not included on the Dell Restore ISO that is available for download.

Anditsu
August 20th, 2008, 02:49 AM

I just may do that. It sounds fun. I do have IT training,but not a lot in building laptops. Could you point me to a Hardware compatibility list

Anditsu
August 20th, 2008, 03:04 AM
He's getting a laptop. Generally tough to build those ;)

Some things that are included in the Dell-shipped version of Ubuntu are legal codecs to play MP3, as well as LinDVD licensing for DVD playback. This is not included on the Dell Restore ISO that is available for download.

Yes laptops are a whole different ball game from desktops for sure! Do you think its worth it. What else comes on the DVD