PDA

View Full Version : best small business apps

celticbhoy
August 19th, 2008, 08:39 PM
i an looking for a list of the best app for a small retail business. I dont mean open office or scribus but accounting stock control payroll invoicing etc

zmjjmz
August 19th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Not sure if you were looking for this, but BananaPOS would do it for a point-of-sale system.

bmac
August 19th, 2008, 10:04 PM
You might wish to investigate this site.

http://www.linuxlinks.com/Software/Financial/Accounting/

Hope this helps....

Cheesehead
August 19th, 2008, 11:24 PM
I looked long and hard for a good Bookkeeping/Accounting package for my small retail business...
...and found *nothing* that I could trust to keep me out of trouble with the U.S. State and Federal taxmen. Nothing in Linux my local accountants were comfortable with. Nothing that I could trust to keep my admin headache to a minimum.

So I held my nose and bought an XP machine and installed Quickbooks and OpenOffice on it and got my accountant to set up the accounts and train me to properly keep books - $600 and one days' time, including hardware, software, setup, and training - less than a day's income for an absolutely essential, mission-critical, production system.

Note: I don't use a Point-of-Sale system. My credit cards run through a separate standalone terminal (I looked at computer add-on or web-based terminals, but they were too slow, cumbersome, and expensive for my needs)

BUT, YOU CAN USE LINUX FOR A LOT OF OTHER EXPENSIVE STUFF.

I use my Xubuntu box for OpenOffice and Python to track customers, generate invoices, and analyze trends.

I use Gimp and Inkscape and OpenOffice to produce ready-to-print ad copy and signs and window posters and business cards, etc.

OpenOffice creates beautiful sales contracts and forms and letters as PDF (so only I can edit them) or on paper.

I wrote a python script that takes customer data from a QuickBooks export, and generates batches of invoices that get e-mailed by Evolution, printed for mailing, and even prints the envelopes...a day's work finished in ten minutes standing by the printer feeding envelopes. THAT's the power of Open Source - you can create your own miracles of convenience.

I store stock graphics and logos and ad photos on my Xubunbtu box.

My Xubuntu box's card reader uploads new material to the in-store scrolling ads.

Having OpenOffice both on the XP and Xubuntu systems has been a lifesaver.

In retrospect, having a system I won't 'play with' (XP) for the Bookkeeping/Accounting machine has been a good idea. But I do most of my work in Linux.

celticbhoy
August 20th, 2008, 10:55 AM
thanx for the link bmac will look through the list, but i would rather tales of personal experience like cheesehead. There must be a number of open source users out there who have been through this problem before me, and i would like to hear there solutions.

celticbhoy
August 20th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Had a look at BananaPOS and I have to say it looks good for a terminal based POS system. But it doesn't really fit into what I need. My business is a bar and off sales, and I am looking for apps that will help me. However Banana does look good at what it does.

kamrananvaar
August 29th, 2008, 11:42 PM
have a look at this thread
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=707388

let me know what u think

also there are business specific distros like
http://pclosbe.org/

Lostincyberspace
August 30th, 2008, 12:08 AM
There should be a BEbuntu made. Business Edition Ubuntu.

Easy on life and profits