PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] print to Shared laserjet connected to XP on windows domain.

Garmuar
August 19th, 2008, 04:55 PM
I am very new to Ubuntu Network administrations.

I have connected my first Ubuntu workstation to our microsoft network using Likewise-open. I joined it to the domain.
We use shared printers on the network.
I can see machines and file shares browsing the domain, but no printers.
Can someone point me in the right direction? What needs to happen to use a printer attached and shared on a xp machine on the domain?

Also, there appears to be a default smb server running on the ubuntu machine. When I open "places/network/windows networks" in the GUI, I see our windows domain, and a "MSHOME" domain listing the Ubuntu machine?

Shouldn't SMB have been joined to the MS domain also by Likewise-open?

guardsman85
August 20th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Have you tried the following?
Go to System -> Administration -> Printing
Select "New Printer"
Select "Windows printer via SAMBA" (it will show you an example of what to type)

As far as the workgroup/domain issue is concerned, could someone else chime in here? I'm not really familiar with likewise-open or adding Ubuntu to a Windows domain.

Garmuar
August 21st, 2008, 06:34 PM
When I try that, it can't find the printer. And when I browse, I can see every machine in the domain, but no shared printers under them on the list.

Is using a shared printer on an XP machine possible with out having some kind of linux drivers installed on the linux machine for that printer? When a microsoft PC connects to a network shared printer, the drivers get pushed down to the PC and installed automaticly.

I can see microsoft file/folder/drive shares on the network and access them , but no printers?

Likewise-Open IS allowing domain users to authenticate with SMB2000 AD server. However, the Machine is not JOINED to the domain? It is sitting in a MSHOME domain separately. This is confusing the hell out of me. Why does the machine not show up in the joined domain? It was successfully joined according to Likewise-open.

When I look in AD Users and Computers, the Ubuntu machine is listed in the "Computers" folder in the tree.

guardsman85
August 21st, 2008, 07:35 PM
Is using a shared printer on an XP machine possible with out having some kind of linux drivers installed on the linux machine for that printer?

At home I have a printer shared on a Windows XP machine, and yes, I had to install a Linux driver (luckily, my model had a driver in Linux). You may be able to find out if your printer is supported or get a needed driver at:
http://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/OpenPrinting

Here are some other resources I saw that might be helpful...

Debian / Windows shared printer how-to
http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-mini/Debian-and-Windows-Shared-Printing.html
Section 3 has instructions on how to connect using smbclient. I haven't ever tried doing it this way, but it's an option you could try.

This is a commercial, for-pay option, of which I really know NOTHING about. However, if the above resources don't work for you, then it may be worth researching. There is a free tiral.
http://www.brooksnet.com/unix-lprlpd-networkprinting.html

Finally, one other for-pay option I found, but again, I really haven't gone this route. Hopefully you'll have your printer working without needing to resort to it.
http://www.printfil.com/english.htm

I know I'm only offering partial answers to your problem, but hopefully it brings you a little closer to where you want to be!

Garmuar
August 21st, 2008, 08:22 PM
Thankyou Garudsman85.

The tutorial from www.linuxfoundation was priceless.
I finally was able to reach the printer and found drivers for it.
Now if I can solve this Windows Domain Authentification problem I'll be set.

I cant install the printer logged in as a domain user because ubuntu will not accept the domain password for that account still.

If I log in as sudo user (not NT domain user) and install printer, can I make it available to other domain user accounts on this machine?