PDA

View Full Version : New Posts Filter

imbjr
August 19th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Is there a way of filtering out from "New Posts" all the forums that are not directly related to Ubuntu (i.e. Community Cafe, Purple Pony etc forums)?

Sam Lars
August 19th, 2008, 08:09 PM
You can do an advanced search, and then uncheck the "Also search in child forums"

imbjr
August 19th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Seems cumbersome, but so long as it's set right that appears to work - though the first search was a little slow.

p_quarles
August 20th, 2008, 04:42 AM
The Purple Pony threads will not show up in any search (including Google -- the bot guidelines tell the search engines to ignore that section).

tamoneya
August 20th, 2008, 04:45 AM
The Purple Pony threads will not show up in any search (including Google -- the bot guidelines tell the search engines to ignore that section).

That doesnt appear to always be the case. I have just done a new posts search and I got one thread from OPP. Here is the search link: http://ubuntuforums.org/search.php?searchid=46606718 and it is the second to last result.

Yes I know that search links expire after a couple hours but this doesnt seem to be a rare occurrence so it wouldnt be to hard to find another one.

Scunge
August 22nd, 2008, 11:18 AM
I also would like to be able to see a list of all new posts but only in a subset of the forums which I choose.

I tried the advanced search, selecting a set of forums, but upon searching it insisted that I add a search term. "*" wasn't accepted, having too few characters. But I don't have any search term, I just want "all posts" in the appropriate descending time order. Is there something obvious I've missed here, the OP seems to say that it works for them?

I tried adding more "&exclude=nnn" terms to the search URL that you can see by hovering ober "Search > Get All New Posts", but it seems to only take the last one.

The ideal for me would be a URL I can bookmark and adjust as I want to include specific forums, and which I call up whenever I want to see if there's anything new I'm interested in, but how to do it "properly" (i.e. using the advanced search) would also be useful.

Many thanks.

cyberdork33
August 22nd, 2008, 01:52 PM
I think it works like so:

http://ubuntuforums.org/search.php?do=getnew&exclude=xxx,xxx,xxx

where xxx are various forum IDs. Seems to be working for me anyway.

pp.
August 22nd, 2008, 02:42 PM
I also would like to be able to see a list of all new posts but only in a subset of the forums which I choose.

Isn't this what subscribing to a forum does?

Scunge
August 22nd, 2008, 08:57 PM
As far as I understand it (in the day I've been here), subscribing to a forum means that you can get an email saying there's been a new topic (and no more emails for that forum until you visit the site). In this case, I'd end up going through the board one forum at a time from a set of emails, rather than seeing all the forums together like the "New Posts" link does.

And anyway, what if someone posts a new topic, then someone posts another new topic, then someone posts to that first topic again - the second new topic would be below the first in the forum list when I visit. So I'm not even guaranteed to see every new topic.

Also, I don't think the board will send you an email for every existing topic which has new posts within a subscribed forum. That would mean subscribing to every topic within that forum as well and it would be a real pain to go through 100s of emails a day, one per topic.

You can specify "forums that you've subscribed to" in the search for the forum list to use, but that still gives the problem that I don't have a search term, and is really just a simple way of selecting a bunch of forums.

I think that an email option which is not "instant email" might end up with a list of topics, but then I have to wait for it every day - I want to be able to go to the board any time and see the new topics there and then.

By all means tell me I'm talking rubbish.:)

(Edit) Anyways...

I tried the format cyberdork33 suggested, and indeed that seems to work. And as expected from the look of that URL, using "include" rather than "exclude" gives a lists of posts from only specified forums, which is what I wanted in my original question.

Sorted. Thanks!

pp.
August 22nd, 2008, 09:09 PM
You can subscribe to a forum without having it send mails to you. You then go to your 'User CP' (control panel?) where the changes are summarised for your perusal.