PDA

View Full Version : Coffee / Tea - Is everyone I work with insane?!

MrMarc
August 19th, 2008, 08:54 AM
Ok so this morning has been a pretty rough wake up for me, I always get up at 6am to go to my work placement and I start at roughly 8.15. I'm sooo tired this morning though so I've had to go make myself a cuppa tea!

I ask one of the ladies here after putting my teabag in the cup (not a sexual reference!) where I can find the sugar. "Oh... you know I don't think we have any... you're the only person here that would take sugar in their tea or coffee."

WHAT THE F***?!?!?!??! :shock: What kind of sick *** establishment is this where the people don't have sugar in their tea or coffee?! It's an outrage! :cry:

So here I am having the blandest most **** poor cup of tea known to man, and all it needed was a little... ok alot, of sweetness to make it right!

The day is ruined... I'm gonna go kill myself now!* :-({|=

* That's an exaggeration...

lordhaworth
August 19th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Naaa,
Tea - with no sugar and only a little bit of milk.

Coffee - black no sugar

Beer - Ale or bitter

Taste buds - nigh on non existant

worx101
August 19th, 2008, 08:59 AM
:|

In what dimension do you work in? :S

I would go crazy without sugar in my coffee/tea :S

mips
August 19th, 2008, 09:00 AM
I don't really drink tea or coffee and if I did it would not have sugar or milk.

Chineese green tea is nice (no sugar/milk) and just as nice as a refreshing cold drink.

lordhaworth
August 19th, 2008, 09:01 AM
most people I know do have tea with sugar though, and would react similarly to the way you have

MrMarc
August 19th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Maaaaaan I have to have three sugars in both my tea or coffee!

I have more of a sweet tooth than most women!

lordhaworth
August 19th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Yeah I mainly drink green tea now

Its definitely more refreshing if you brew it quickly, but if you leave it longer its as satisfying as "normal" tea

clash
August 19th, 2008, 11:02 AM
I ask one of the ladies here after putting my teabag in the cup (not a sexual reference!) where I can find the sugar. "Oh... you know I don't think we have any... you're the only person here that would take sugar in their tea or coffee."

WHAT THE F***?!?!?!??! :shock: What kind of sick *** establishment is this where the people don't have sugar in their tea or coffee?! It's an outrage! :cry:

I am outraged .. call your local MP and have this travesty of an establishment demolished post haste!

Seriously, wtf. No sugar ? weird. I would actually run to the shop and buy them some.

MrMarc
August 19th, 2008, 11:06 AM
I am outraged .. call your local MP and have this travesty of an establishment demolished post haste!

Seriously, wtf. No sugar ? weird. I would actually run to the shop and buy them some.

Well the office is part of the local council heh, and just across from here is a shop and there's another one just up the road! \\:D/ It's really quite inexcusable... I'm calling discrimination against the sweet toothed!

Archmage
August 19th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Good idea to get rid of the sugar. That is not healthy.

clash
August 19th, 2008, 11:09 AM
Well the office is part of the local council heh, and just across from here is a shop and there's another one just up the road! \\:D/ It's really quite inexcusable... I'm calling discrimination against the sweet toothed!

I remember working in london and sugar in tea (especially tea, maybe not coffee) was more or less an informal law. When I used to work on the buildings and ask for me lunch time cuppa the threw in a spoon of sugar without asking, the milk was optional.

DrMega
August 19th, 2008, 11:29 AM
At my work, the free vending machines offers a range of hot drinks from pure filth to various forms of pollution. There is a button that is labelled "Tea - White - With Sugar". I press that one as the sugar it contains is the only ingredient that makes it mildly tolerable. I wouldn't bother at all but it contains caffeine, and I need caffeine to keep me even slightly motivated in this hellhole of an office.

MrMarc
August 19th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Yeah it's not a good thing at all to admit to but I have had many moments in my life when I've been dependent on caffeine and sugar!

During my two years of Uni, I had to take 2 fairly long bus journeys to get to the college I studied my degree at from 7am (waking up at 6am) and I usually wouldn't get back home until 6pm, a good 2-3 hours everyday were spent sat on a bus doing nothing, surprisingly tiring and draining!

It got to such a bad point where I was going to shop before walking to college to buy a litre bottle of their cheap Red Bull **** AND having that with 2 or 3 pro-plus tablets! During the day I'd be taking trips to the coffee machine to keep myself awake.

That was undoubtedly the worst time of my life for it and I'm nowhere near as bad now I was then. That said though, I do still love having my cups of coffe or tea and I do still buy energy drinks (I love me some Relentless or Rockstar!)

D'ya wanna know the worst bit? And this is gonna derail the thread into an area of some seriousness! :S

My mam is diabetic as is my aunty as well I think (her sister), and I've inherited some conditions off my mam (such as hell with ears lol). I'm waiting for the day when I myself get diagnosed with it because I can see it happening. I can't seem to stop myself though with the bloody sugar! I will learn eventually, hopefully before I learn the hard way!

The horrible thing is that caffeine and sugar (well caffeine is anyway) are totally like drugs to me. My constant use of the word 'sweet tooth' for all I know could be something much more serious on the levels of addiction! :S

DrMega
August 19th, 2008, 12:28 PM
The horrible thing is that caffeine and sugar (well caffeine is anyway) are totally like drugs to me. My constant use of the word 'sweet tooth' for all I know could be something much more serious on the levels of addiction! :S

Caffeine is physically addictive so you will get withdrawl symptoms if you try to knock it on the head. It can actually cause health problems, but more likely it just knackers your ability to concentrate (ironically, because in small doses it seems to aid concentration).

If you think you are getting addicted to caffeine (likely), I would be inclined to try to cut down and detox for a while.

It might sound gross, but there is an ideal drink for you in Holland and Barrett or any good herbal shop. Dandelion "coffee". It is basically roasted Dandelion roots ground into granules. You use it exactly as you'd used instant coffee, and it just tastes like cheap coffee but sweeter. It contains no caffeine at all (naturally, ie it hasn't been decaffeinated) and herbalists reckon that it contains natural chemicals that support the liver and aid in the detox process. Whether it works or not (I've used it) it is harmless. There are no side effects and it is available off the shelf. The only downside is that it is a bit pricey for the flavour.

lordhaworth
August 19th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Im at uni now and found myself drinking more (though not loads) tea and coffee, so I started looking for alternatives...

green tea is a lower caffeine drink so may be a good staging drink to get you used to less of a hit. Also Nettle tea is really good and I dont think theres any caffeiene in that! I found that eventually just having a hot drink helps me concentrate a bit regardless of the caffeiene. As far as the sugar is concerned, green and nettle tea is rank with sugar so no probs for you there!

Originally Posted by MrMarc

WHAT THE F***?!?!?!??! What kind of sick *** establishment is this

A council office!

Tomosaur
August 19th, 2008, 12:39 PM
I don't have sugar in tea (Although I am anemic so when I get tired I might have one or two sugars - and yes, I know that's no way to pick yourself up properly with anemia but it helps a little :P).

With coffee I might have 2 sweeteners, but I don't drink coffee all that much really.

Sugar in tea is bad for you - and since most people (in the UK especially) have more than enough tea ever day - it's kind of like a stealth intake of sugar.

DrMega
August 19th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Also Nettle tea is really good and I dont think theres any caffeiene in that!

Nettle tea is great, but there is one thing to keep in mind. Nettle tea is usually (but not always) made from the roots. The roots contain a chemical which is known to be a common allergen. Apparently the most likely reaction if you are one of those that is allergic, is a very short lasting but sever stomach upset. Cramps and abdominal pain followed almost immediately by dhiarhea are apparently not uncommon if you happen to allergic.

The moral of that little story is that if you try nettle tea for the first time, do so when you have quick and easy access to the toilet.

TomMK
August 19th, 2008, 02:09 PM
You're all missing the point completely - Red Bull* is what you need!

):P

*Other energy drinks are available. But they're rubbish.

lordhaworth
August 19th, 2008, 02:12 PM
Nettle tea is great, but there is one thing to keep in mind. Nettle tea is usually (but not always) made from the roots. The roots contain a chemical which is known to be a common allergen. Apparently the most likely reaction if you are one of those that is allergic, is a very short lasting but sever stomach upset. Cramps and abdominal pain followed almost immediately by dhiarhea are apparently not uncommon if you happen to allergic.

The moral of that little story is that if you try nettle tea for the first time, do so when you have quick and easy access to the toilet.

Lol, Im glad Im not allergic because I never knew that until now!

Could have been messy

MrMarc
August 19th, 2008, 02:25 PM
You're all missing the point completely - Red Bull* is what you need!

):P

*Other energy drinks are available. But they're rubbish.

Rockstar begs to differ! 500ml's for 99p! WIN!

Tastes just as sweet as Red Bull too, but with more of what ya love! :guitar:

NovaAesa
August 19th, 2008, 02:32 PM
I put 1 sugar in my coffee, but I never have tea with sugar. It would spoil the taste!

Bodsda
August 19th, 2008, 10:18 PM
I have a 2 or 3 spoonfuls of regular nescafe coffee, no sugar, no milk.

I drink in the region of 20 -> 40 cups a day

Some people say im addicted, #

I think its not me drinking too much coffee, its them not drinking enough.

brunovecchi
August 19th, 2008, 10:41 PM
Ok so this morning has been a pretty rough wake up for me, I always get up at 6am to go to my work placement and I start at roughly 8.15. I'm sooo tired this morning though so I've had to go make myself a cuppa tea!

So here I am having the blandest most **** poor cup of tea known to man, and all it needed was a little... ok alot, of sweetness to make it right!

The day is ruined... I'm gonna go kill myself now!* :-({|=

* That's an exaggeration...

Eerie... my bet is that you got cought in some weird lovecraftian (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lovecraft) dimension.

bmac
August 19th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Welcome to employee wellness programs. My employer removed all the vending machines that contained soda or other sweetened beverages. Then told everyone it was to increase employee wellness and efficiency/productivity. Where would we be without big brother assuring our health and safety.

Solution:
My group purchased a small refrig. and all of us chip in weekly to keep it stocked. We also have our own tea and coffee station with sugar and cream (OMG) - I'm certain the company will eventually get around to asking us to remove these killer beverages. Until then many other department members gladly drop an quarter in our coffee can every morning and a $1.00 in our pop can every afternoon...

MrMarc (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=438121)
Stop at the store and purchase a box of sugar packets and keep them at work....This might eliminate the bad coffee/tea day syndrome....

Ozor Mox
August 19th, 2008, 11:03 PM
I have no sugar in tea or coffee. Once you get used to it without, it tastes way too sweet with it.

benny bronx
August 19th, 2008, 11:42 PM
Do not act in haste. Word has it that the next ubuntu will have a very powerful terminal where you can type "sudo apt-get (enter name) fired".

viciouslime
August 20th, 2008, 12:05 AM
Welcome to employee wellness programs. My employer removed all the vending machines that contained soda or other sweetened beverages. Then told everyone it was to increase employee wellness and efficiency/productivity. Where would we be without big brother assuring our health and safety.

Wow!!! Do Americans really use the word wellness? I always thought that was a word that Germans had sort of incorrectly borrowed from English, like Handy...

Keyper7
August 20th, 2008, 02:30 AM
Ugh, I can't stand sugar, neither on the coffee or the tea.

In my opinion, it ruins all the good things those two have to offer, taste-wise. Nothing pisses me off like the guy in the counter not hearing that I asked without sugar.

init1
August 20th, 2008, 03:10 AM
Sometimes I add cream and sugar, but I usually drink my coffee black. Either way, I don't understand why they wouldn't have sugar there.

Lord Xeb
August 20th, 2008, 03:20 AM
I personally prefer coffee (and if it is black, death will come your way) I like cream (about 2 tablespoons) and 2 packs of splenda in mine which 2 packs is equivalent to 4 teaspoons of surgar (sweentness wise) that is why I use it. Also, green tea is great but good luck finding it in my parents house e_e I also do not drink coffee or tea much at all. I just go for some milk or a soda. <_<

Toupee
August 20th, 2008, 03:28 AM
Holy crap, you guys are wussies. I like my coffee black as midnight on a moonless night! And I won't take it any other way!

jgrabham
August 20th, 2008, 05:20 AM
Coffee with quite a lot of milk, and sugar (about 2/3 spoons).
Tea with a tiny drop of milk (tea making is an art which only the British can master) and 2 sugars (I know, but I like it sweet).

Both in mugs - the bigger, the better, I have a mug thats just under a pint, that I love to fill with coffee ;)

IIRC there's a saying that Americans can't make a decent cup of tea, Brits can't make a decent cup of coffee; it's a fair exchange.

geogur
August 20th, 2008, 07:24 AM
i drink black coffee as strong as i can make it . about 10 cups a day !

CarpKing
August 20th, 2008, 07:26 AM
I like sugar in my coffee, but sweetened tea makes me gag.

lordhaworth
August 20th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Once youve had black, you never go back

Chessmaster
August 20th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Used to have sugar in my coffee (Black coffee only). Then I stopped and never looked back. I now think that it ruins the taste of coffee, as does anything else one could as to it, such as milk.

Although a shot of whisky now and then in a black coffee is a winner.

dustman
August 20th, 2008, 09:09 AM
me too, i never put sugar in my tea, but when i drink cofee i use at least 2 spoons of sugar...it's perfect that way. The bad thing is that drinking coffee almost gets me to the hospital (i have somekind of supra-ventricular tachycardia :-k) - not every time, but 2 out of 4 times. Anyways, someone once said that "caffeine is the whip onto the back of an exhausted horse", so i try not to drink coffee (even though a cup of tea contains more caffeine than a cup of coffee :D).

Lorelei-
August 24th, 2008, 10:37 PM
sugar in tea is heathen! unless of course your really a Russian, in which case its forgiveable as tea in Russia is traditionally served black with boat loads of sugar.

Motomo
August 25th, 2008, 01:30 AM
no sugar in tea...cold or hot....

coffee to get me started is a 7:01am...a cup of dark roast coffee strong with a shot or two of expresso

phidia
August 25th, 2008, 03:09 AM
I don't use sugar-it's bad for you. Some peeps claim it's harder to give up than illegal drugs.
Anyway your job will likely be out sourced to 3 year olds in the far east and they don't use sugar either.