PDA

View Full Version : Recognising the value of these forums

kaboodle_fish
August 18th, 2008, 11:20 AM
I believe that the immense value and contribution that these forums bring to users is often overlooked and not fully appreciated.

Ubuntu is (in my opinion, based on personal experience) an excellent operating sytem whose usage is made much more pleasant and smoother for starters and the more seasoned alike by these forums and all who make a positive contribution to them.

Such a wealth of help and advice, knowledge and learning, humour and friendliness can be found here that I would like to say thank you to everyone involved and hope others consider that complaining only gets you so far, contributing gets you and others much further.

gettinoriginal
August 18th, 2008, 11:37 AM
I totally agree. I have had to ask for help many times here, and all but one is solved thanks to the help of other users. I am enjoying my trip through linux land and it's all because of the wonderful people who inhabit it.

samjh
August 18th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Ubuntu has a fantastic community. One of the friendliest Linux forums around. And help is always quick.

The community is not without faults (fan-boyism, immature corporate-bashing, attempted forced indoctrination of FOSS philosophy, etc), but the benefits of the Ubuntu community trumps the negative aspects many times over.

However, as a long-time member, I should apologise to the users who have posted help requests but received no reply. Understand that it's not because no-one cares, but because there are hundreds of new help threads created each day and some problems cannot be figured out in a timely manner, even by experienced users.

whitefort
August 18th, 2008, 11:57 AM
Absolutely.

I tried Linux various times over the years, but since I'm a user, not a guru, I always got stuck at some point.

Then the same thing always happened - I would go to the relevant forum, politely request help, and get a reply suggesting that I was too stupid to be using Linux (sometimes with a few added expletives).

So I would go back to Windows.

I've now been using Linux for about 2 years, and this forum has almost EVERYTHING to do with that. On occasions, I've broken Ubuntu by being stupid. On occasions, updates have broken my system. Many times I've wondered how to do something, or IF it could be done, and I've *aways* found helpful and friendly answers here.

Ubuntu is great, but IMO these forums are a major, MAJOR part of its success.

bigyoy
August 18th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Absolutely.

I tried Linux various times over the years, but since I'm a user, not a guru, I always got stuck at some point.

Then the same thing always happened - I would go to the relevant forum, politely request help, and get a reply suggesting that I was too stupid to be using Linux (sometimes with a few added expletives).

So I would go back to Windows.

I've now been using Linux for about 2 years, and this forum has almost EVERYTHING to do with that. On occasions, I've broken Ubuntu by being stupid. On occasions, updates have broken my system. Many times I've wondered how to do something, or IF it could be done, and I've *aways* found helpful and friendly answers here.

Ubuntu is great, but IMO these forums are a major, MAJOR part of its success.

I totally agree, I've been dipping in and out of Ubuntu for the past 2 years and without this forum I would have given up long ago. The answers are always there, sure it can take some time but once you have got what you want to work I find it so rewarding!

Daveski
August 18th, 2008, 01:16 PM

Ubuntu - Linux for Human Beings.
I agree with these posts. Linux is community driven, and as such needs a friendly and helpful place for users (old and new) to commune. I never regret the day I stumbled on Ubuntu - it is not just another distro, it is the community behind it that makes it so special.

I'll stop there.

loell
August 18th, 2008, 01:18 PM
I believe that the immense value and contribution that these forums bring to users is often overlooked and not fully appreciated.

heheh, you overlooked the value of your post, that you posted in the cafe instead of testimonials section. :biggrin:

lisati
August 18th, 2008, 01:20 PM
I've found that filling in time reading the discussions, even when I don't have anything particularly relevant or helpful to contribute, can be rewarding. It's great!

kaboodle_fish
August 18th, 2008, 02:00 PM
heheh, you overlooked the value of your post, that you posted in the cafe instead of testimonials section. :biggrin:

My reasoning was that because it was about the forums, not about Ubuntu itself, I thought the thread would be better placed here.