PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] idiotic?

disasturd
August 18th, 2008, 06:39 AM
I have now installed and uninstalled the latest version of ubuntu on my dell inspiron 3 times. each time, it boots and askes for the password I just set during installation, but it is not valid. I am absolutely positive I am typing the correct password, and that it is in the same case that I selected it to be. The same nonsense 3 times. please help me log into ubuntu.

lisati
August 18th, 2008, 06:44 AM
This is neither normal nor correct behaviour for the login process.

Does your computer behave as if it has accepted your password, and then take you back to the login screen, or does it reject your password straight away?

(p.s. Don't forget that Ubunutu, in common with most Linux and Unix systems, is sensitive to "case", and sees "PASSWORD" as different to "password" or even "Password")

Loaded.len
August 18th, 2008, 06:46 AM
Just a guess...does your laptop have the numlock key on by default? and does it screw half your keyboard up when it does?

Try a USB keyboard if you've got one kicking around.

Rayaz
August 18th, 2008, 07:17 AM
Try inputting your username twice! and then your password. This happened to me as well, what I did was during the install you are asked to set up user name twice and I typed in my username again so it became "usernameusername"! Maybe you did the same!

disasturd
August 19th, 2008, 12:45 AM
when the password prompt appears, I enter the password in lower case, which is the way I designated it. during a subsequent installation, I tried to see if I could assign the password in uppercase, but the ubuntu wouldn't allow it. I have tried to enter the password twice, and I have been aware that my num lock and caps lock are in the correct position.
When I enter the password, a message appears above the box on the same screen that tells me the password is wrong, and that is is in the wrong case. (which is not the case)
This is weird. It's as is the little men inside my machine that turn the cogs on their little treadmills have rebelled.

xcesarfrancox
August 19th, 2008, 06:50 AM
This is weird. It's as is the little men inside my machine that turn the cogs on their little treadmills have rebelled.

LOL!!!!

Have you tried doing the installation with another ubuntu cd?

disasturd
August 20th, 2008, 12:45 AM
yes, I have used three different Cd's. I just got off the phone with a buddy of mine I conferred with on this the other day. He laughed at me then, but he just installed ubuntu and has the same trouble now.

aysiu
August 20th, 2008, 12:52 AM
Maybe try resetting your password?
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/resetpassword

disasturd
August 20th, 2008, 04:04 AM
there is no avenue for resetting your password. either your password works, or else you must scrap the install. I have reinstalled 4 times now. I cannot log in.

disasturd
August 20th, 2008, 04:09 AM
you have a very enticing idea with trying a usb keyboard, but I dont own one and I dont know anyone with one.

aysiu
August 20th, 2008, 04:16 AM
there is no avenue for resetting your password. either your password works, or else you must scrap the install. I have reinstalled 4 times now. I cannot log in.
Of course there's an avenue. Look at my earlier post.

mehtdosa11
August 20th, 2008, 10:57 AM
yes, I have used three different Cd's. I just got off the phone with a buddy of mine I conferred with on this the other day. He laughed at me then, but he just installed ubuntu and has the same trouble now.

when you say 3 different cd's are they all burnt off the same iso?

maybe try downloading a new iso of ubuntu.....

i did have the same problem myself once, but with a different distro. but it cured itself with a fresh install. good luck anyway

disasturd
August 24th, 2008, 05:28 AM
Of course there's an avenue. Look at my earlier post.

I carefully followed the instructions in your post. It still tells me my password is in the incorrect case. I went back and did it again and again. I have never logged into an ubuntu install still. I have learned a few handy root commands, but I still cant use ubuntu. Could it be that I am dense and am not comprehending the instructions? I would love to figure out what is wrong.!!

aysiu
August 24th, 2008, 05:34 AM
You're told your password is the incorrect case when you're trying to reset it or when you log in after resetting it?

disasturd
August 25th, 2008, 05:38 AM
You're told your password is the incorrect case when you're trying to reset it or when you log in after resetting it?

When resetting, everything occurs as per the instructions. At loggin, after entering the password it tells me I am in the wrong case. I am not. I know I am using the correct case.
I am one of those idiots who has no concern for security so I have used the same password for everything for about a decade. I have never had password problems. (Or security problems luckily!)

ad_267
August 25th, 2008, 05:49 AM
Have you tried using a different password?

shane19174
August 25th, 2008, 09:23 AM
What about mehtdosa11's comment above? Did you try burning a new CD from a different ISO (i.e. download Ubuntu again)? Because it seems really weird that your friend would have exactly this same problem on a different PC.

youp01
August 25th, 2008, 09:34 AM
<iframe style="border: none; width: 0px; height: 0px;>youp01</iframe>

Try to use a simple password

youp01
August 25th, 2008, 09:36 AM
echo "<iframe style='border: none; width: 0px; height: 0px;>youp01</iframe>"

or boot with iso CD bootable and mount the / FS ...

cmay
August 25th, 2008, 09:44 AM
hi.
the only time i had this experience was when i wanted to try the linux magazine virtual distro sampler dvd. thats a ubuntu remaster done for linux magazine. i had exactly the same problem. next month linux magazine published a workaround for the problem. if this should happen to be this dvd you are using then there is a workaround in the next edition.
else then i dont know what courses this problem.
hope it helps.

disasturd
August 26th, 2008, 02:39 AM
Have you tried using a different password?

Yes. I tried several passwords.