PDA

View Full Version : [Python] Executing UNIX 'diff' from python

GammaPoint
August 18th, 2008, 03:38 AM
Hi, I'm trying to execute the UNIX command 'diff' from python and connect to it's output stream so that I can tell if the files differ. But I'm having some issues. I tried something simple like the following:

os.popen('diff file1 file2')
diff: standard output: Broken pipe

and then I was going to .readlines() from that resulting object.

But I got the following error message:

diff: standard output: Broken pipe

What am I doing wrong? Does anyone know how to do this with the newer subprocess module?

meanburrito920
August 18th, 2008, 04:52 AM
Can you give some more info on your python version, etc? I just tried it on python 2.5.1 on ubuntu 7.10 and it worked fine. How are you passing the filenames to popen?

ghostdog74
August 18th, 2008, 04:59 AM
filecmp is the module you would use in Python. Avoid calling external commands where possible. Makes your code portable. Also, look at the Python library reference for more useful modules.

GammaPoint
August 18th, 2008, 05:15 AM
Can you give some more info on your python version, etc? I just tried it on python 2.5.1 on ubuntu 7.10 and it worked fine. How are you passing the filenames to popen?

I am using 2.5.2 on Hardy Heron. I tried using os.popen as shown in my first post (the same as if I would have used os.system() but I wanted to connect to the output stream so I decided to use popen instead).

Also, thanks for the suggestion ghostdog, I wasn't aware of this function. Although I am still curious as to why the above didn't work...:confused: