PDA

View Full Version : UUGs? Where are they?

quietglow
November 12th, 2005, 03:43 PM
Am I missing something or are we lacking a Ubuntu User Group framework/registery etc? MUGs are, in lots of people's opinions, what kept Macs around during the dark ages of the mid-to-late 90s. Do we have another way of reaching out to the non-Ubuntu community? Mac people call these the "un-converted" :-)

Seriously, I'm thinking of trying to start a user group in my academic community--introductory presentations, "install nights," etc. I haven't found much in the way of resources supporting this.

(And I can, and very well may, start building such resources if they aren't yet!)

nsa_767
November 12th, 2005, 03:50 PM
Many universities have LUGs (Linux User Groups)...

Actually, I don't think many LUGs are distro-specific. But then, I speak under correction since I do not belong to any LUG.

panickedthumb
November 12th, 2005, 03:50 PM
Well there are plenty of LUGs, for Linux, but I don't think I've heard of specialized Ubuntu groups.

Gotta love the FSM. Rock on ;)

quietglow
November 12th, 2005, 04:07 PM
Yeah, there are LUGs. LUGs--by their very nature--suffer from lots of the same problems that the diversity of Linux OSs do, though. The chief problem is that a person who wants a solid OS and not a hobby has to wade through way, way too many options--starting with the choice of that OS. In other words, LUGs are set up for hobby users and enthusiasts. For instance, my U still has a MUG. Why should we when OSX is now a *nix? The answer to that question is, I think, why we need UUGs.

One of the greatest strengths of Ubuntu is the way in which lots of those choices have been made *in the design of the OS.* Its a solution not a set of solutions. People sick of other OSs very much want this type of thing, and if we have an interest in getting Ubuntu out there, we should probably sell it like that.

FWIW, I think the second chief strength of the OS is apt-get which will allows me to populate my machine with 27 word processors if I so choose :-)

mattheweast
November 13th, 2005, 02:37 AM
There are tons of local Ubuntu user groups. They are mainly on a per country basis, but many of them are also city level.

See this page: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LoCoTeams

Feel free to join in, and get in touch with your local group!

quietglow
November 15th, 2005, 09:28 PM
Hey I forgot to thank you for pointing me that way! I'm trying to put together a local group now.

I wonder why it is, though, that there are so very few groups in the US?

mattheweast
November 15th, 2005, 10:11 PM
I wouldn't say that: the US is the only country with a number of Local community groups that are specific to cities! The other ones are mainly country-based...

Anyhow, no problem, and good news that you're starting another group!

ferentix
November 15th, 2005, 10:45 PM
There was an attempt at starting an "Open Source Society" in my school by some of the Linux users. I said I'd join because I thought it was a programming club... anyway, it ended when someone told a staff member that they were writing viruses (which was total BS by the way). Ah well...

An Ubuntu user group... interesting idea...

krye
November 16th, 2005, 12:36 AM
We have that in our school, as a student group. It's not Ubuntu-specific, but more like OSS in general. But, since I've been the "president" of the group, I've been encouraging the use of Ubuntu, not only 'converting' people to this distro, but also when we, as a group, give courses on installing, configuring, and 'converting' from win to linux, using Ubuntu as the distro. We also provide help all throughout the school and install and help teaching and installing the distro. Also, what I'm most proud of, we've convinced the people "up there" to give "Linux" as a course, with credits as if it were any other course on the University, and this was the third semester in a row this course was given :)

So as you can see, there are these kinds of groups, if there aren't were you are, start them :).

quietglow
November 23rd, 2005, 01:54 AM
Just as an update, I finally got myself to our local LUG meeting last night (www.silug.org) and after a very brief time talking to the previous facilitator, realized the group SERIOUSLY needed some direction. I suggested Ubuntu, and he was like "its all yours." So we'll be working as SILUG, but we'll be specifically Ubuntu oriented.

Now for druming up some support here on campus!

benplaut
November 23rd, 2005, 02:59 AM
at our lug ( www.bilug.org ) we have about half ubuntu users, half fedora, and one suse user :)

raublekick
November 23rd, 2005, 07:17 AM
The closest LUG to me is: http://www.lancasterlug.org/

But it's 30-40 minutes away and pretty early on Saturday mornings. Plus the page's last update was over a year ago.