PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] XPS M170 - Configure [fn]+[f8] resolutions?

csa3d
August 17th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Hello,

I have a Dell XPS M170 with Ubuntu 8.04 installed. My [fn]+[f8] toggles resolutions like it used to under windows, however I'm not sure exactly how it's choosing what those multiple resolutions or how to change them.

I have an external monitor hooked up using nvidia-settings twin view, and would like to be able to hit the hotkey combo to disable the external monitor and display only on the laptop screen.

If this is done in the xorg.conf file, can someone give me an example of what settings make this happen? If it's done in some other application, point me in that direction as well.

Currently, if I toggle through whatever settings are there, it eventually displays only on the laptop, but the screen has a virtual screen off to the side, as though it hasn't really turned off my last display configuration, but rather moved it all onto one monitor in a virtual area.

Any help is much appreciated.

-csa

csa3d
August 18th, 2008, 09:30 PM
So doing more reading, as of ubuntu 8.04, is there no way to toggle between just the laptop and a combination of the laptop and the externally attached monitor w/o having to set up two xorg.conf files and creating a script to toggle between them upon startup?