PDA

View Full Version : Gimp question....

hockey97
August 16th, 2008, 09:08 PM
Hi I want to learn how you can make professioanl good looking textures for games apps or webpages ect..

I notice in todays games for playstation 3 I notice they have close to realistic looks on textures.

I have previewed a new game from sega of te game in china 2008 ect and notice the pool area where they have tile looking floors which look real.

I would like to start my way to working towards that making good looking textures but yet I don't know how they make these.

I have heard some just go outside at take pictures of the sidewalk ect brick wall and then use gimp to make 2 copies of the image and one copy would hold the texture info this is where you can just make a white cement and just overlay the texture info on the white block of cement and it would look like a sidewalk ect.

am I right or wrong.

What website could teach me the whole proccess on creating home made textures.

I don't have a camera so I can't really go outside and start taking pictures.

Merk42
August 16th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Textures for what purpose?
Yes the usually start as photos, and then they may make them so they tile.
If it's for 3D, then there may be other maps, like bump, specular, displacement, normal, etc.

AJB2K3
August 17th, 2008, 08:50 AM
I suggest you come the photo resource websites, get a good camera and take pictures.

Traditionally when creating a transparent part of a graphic you would set the area to
#ff00ff however nowadays you just add an alpha channel.
For gaming you will also need to learn about file compresion and the abilities of the games engine.
In the time of UT99 making textures in gimp was simple however now adays its a bit harder but gimp is still more the capable (bah even the humble ms paint is capable for textures.

hockey97
August 18th, 2008, 12:32 AM
well I would like to learn pro techneaks on making textures for 3d games and also websites.

What I need now is just learning how to create textures for the website.

I am currently working on a website. So I want to make a background for like texts or image areas on my website but want to create a icy texture. I already made one for the text but I can't make one for the panel looking thing.

I plan to have a box select filled with blue color but want to apply a texture to the box selection that was filled.

smartboyathome
August 18th, 2008, 02:10 AM
For most portions of websites, it seems that I would use Inkscape (I am not a website designer, btw). I use Inkscape more when I am creating stuff, gimp is more or less an editor.

Merk42
August 18th, 2008, 02:18 AM
Are you sure a textured background won't make the text illegible? Also textures would add file size to your site, not really a wise thing to do. But all you would need to do is make a tileable image and make that a background for whatever divs or spans the text is in.

hockey97
August 19th, 2008, 02:41 AM
no I don't plan to use textures for the background.

I am making an image to put behind contect like text or youtube video ect it's not going to be the background of the website it just for where the texts and also content are it's kinda like a table but not an html table but a graphic that would make it look like a tabel where the contect is.

it's hard to describe. it's not going to cover the whole website. just behind each individual contect meaning videos or text.

Merk42
August 19th, 2008, 04:12 AM
Are you sure a textured background won't make the text illegible?

it just for where the texts...

:confused: