PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Dimension E310 slow and laggy!

Gaudentius
August 16th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Dimension E310 Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 640 w/HT Technology (3.2GHz,800FSB)
Memory 1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz -2DIMMs
Video Card Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 900
Hard Drive 160GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/ 8MB cache
Network Interface Integrated 10/100 Ethernet
Modem 56K PCI Data Fax Modem
Sound Integrated Sound Blaster® Audigy® ADVANCED HD Audio

I hope the above info helps in diagnosing my issue. I purchased a 1525N with Hardy. LOVE IT!!!

I figured it was time to install Hardy in my Dell E310. I purchased a new Seagate Barracuda 500GB SATA HD and installed it. I turned it on in BIOS and installed Hardy onto it without messing with the 160GB HD with my XP installation so I could have a dual-boot. It was a little laggy even before all the updates and it still is!

It all works, but I try to have music in the background using Rhythmbox while surfing and the music will cut out while going to different sites or running searches.

As I'm typing, there is a noticable lag. Extremely annoying!

I suspect it's because I have only 1GB of memory. I thought Ubuntu, Linux in general, was supposed to handle minimal resources well.

Any help would be appreciated. :popcorn:

GD

p.s.
With Visual Effects turned off, Hardy works fine. I still have the extra virtual desktops available but it just switches over, nothing fancy. I just figured the pc would be powerful enough to handle Compiz. Should I pick up a video card? My options are limited though, PCI-E 1X I believe.

p.p.s.
Bought two sticks of ram (2GB) and a new video card to fit in the PCIe x1 slot (HSI Radeonx1550). Not too bad if I say so myself!