PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Modify a command from the bash shell history before using it again?

caljohnsmith
August 16th, 2008, 04:26 PM
I suppose this is almost sort of a trivia question, but is there a way to pull up a previous command from the bash shell history and modify it before using it? Other than doing a copy and paste I mean. For instance, if I do:

history
And I see that command number 423 is:

423 cat /boot/grub/menu.lst
So if I want to re-execute that command I could simply do:

!423
But what if I want to modify that command slightly before executing it? Is there an easy way of doing that? Just curious.

y-lee
August 16th, 2008, 04:30 PM
May not be what you are looking for but I edit the history file in a word processor. Open nautilus and hit ctrl-H to show hidden files and look for .bash_history. Open it in gedit or whatever editor you like to use and edit. You will probably have to restart the terminal for the changes to take effect, tho i might be wrong.

olejorgen
August 16th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Uh. press up (the arrow keys) of ctrl+p revious / ctrl+n ext if you use standard (emacs) bindings. or esc k/j if you use vi bindings

EDIT: Ah, I think I missunderstood what you wanted
EDIT2: If you use vi bindings you could do "esc 432k" maybe emacs have something similar

olejorgen
August 16th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Or you could use zsh and do !423<tab>

y-lee
August 16th, 2008, 04:38 PM
see also Bash History (http://www.gnu.org/software/bash/manual/html_node/Bash-History-Builtins.html). The fc command mentioned there may help.