PDA

View Full Version : Website idea, need sugestions

lyceum
August 15th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Okay, I have a dream of a non-computer user (newbie or just does not get computers) friendly website that lets users type either what they need or a proprietary program into a search engine and they get get a list of programs listed by rating, with user reviews. Kind of like an Amazon.com for FOSS. However, this project is just too big and I have tried for over a year to get it done with little success. So I am thinking of scaling it down to a site for designers that either use FOSS or are looking to learn how. It would do the same thing, but would add tutorials and I would have a forum for artists to chat. Does this sound like a cool idea? or has it already been done, and I do not know. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Sealbhach
August 15th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Sounds like www.download.com to me.

Theres also the Linux App finder website...

http://linuxappfinder.com/

So I'm not usre if your new website could anything new or different to what's already been done.

ilrudie
August 15th, 2008, 01:16 PM
osalt.com

lyceum
August 15th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Sounds like www.download.com to me.

Theres also the Linux App finder website...

http://linuxappfinder.com/

So I'm not usre if your new website could anything new or different to what's already been done.

That is my original idea. Though nothing like download.com, I can see that it was similar to Linux App finder, but I wanted the site to be for FOSS on all platforms.

But, that was my old idea. My new idea would be a hub for artists to read reviews on programs, talk to other artists about FOSS programs, get help and learn how to use the different programs. It would be a community for artists using FOSS. I really want to let users post their work, but I do not want it to be another deviantart.com.

As an artist, rather than a computer expert, I spent a lot of time at wikipedia trying to find the best programs, not just the popular ones. It took a lot of trial an error to get where I am, and I always wished there was a site that would have made my trek easier. I am not sure that anyone else would use it though. Which is why I am here with my question.

mitza
August 16th, 2008, 08:20 AM
well i would use it if it had some great content, but for people's reviews you'll need a community, and until you get that community you're on your own! so great content is the key!

Babbage
August 16th, 2008, 10:28 AM
I've a few suggests you might try:

Write a blog. You could start with your own reviews of the FOSS software you like and encourage others comments and reviews on your blog.

Another option would be to find a web host and set up your own online community using their built-in scripts. This is not as hard as it sounds. It can be done by just clicking, with minimal configuration, and a little help from their support people.

You could start your own Wiki using the many sites on the internet now that allow free Wiki set up, like www.wikia.com.

molom
August 16th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Isn't that called 'CNR'?

lyceum
August 17th, 2008, 02:51 PM
well i would use it if it had some great content, but for people's reviews you'll need a community, and until you get that community you're on your own! so great content is the key!

I've a few suggests you might try:

Write a blog. You could start with your own reviews of the FOSS software you like and encourage others comments and reviews on your blog.

Another option would be to find a web host and set up your own online community using their built-in scripts. This is not as hard as it sounds. It can be done by just clicking, with minimal configuration, and a little help from their support people.

You could start your own Wiki using the many sites on the internet now that allow free Wiki set up, like www.wikia.com.

This is exactly what I was thinking. I would start with a blog and my own tutorials and invite others to contribute. I doubt it would get as big as the Ubuntu forums, but it could still be used.

I do not want to do a wiki at this point. I am going to write the site with Ruby on Rails, and I am not too crazy about adding a wiki at this point. I have found that other than Wikipedia I do not really use wikis very often, though I do know that are popular. I am thinking that if I make it a blog site that anyone can use (with rules on content) with a forum it may work better. I am thinking at this point that the reviews would be more like editorials, like in a newspaper. If things go well I would want to have a news letter to send out, letting people know about new software releases. Kind of like an interactive online magazine.

lyceum
August 17th, 2008, 02:52 PM
Isn't that called 'CNR'?

Again, that was my old idea, and you have to install CNR. I guess I should not have mentioned my old idea :)

lyceum
August 17th, 2008, 02:54 PM
osalt.com

Thanks for the link, this is very much like my old idea. I will put a link to this site on my site

:)

Babbage
August 17th, 2008, 04:08 PM
If you're thinking of a blog with a forum, (that's a great idea) Wordpress have both and they look great, as usual. You probably know about www.wordpress.org where the Wordpress blogging software can be downloaded and installed on a server. But there is now also www.bbpress.org the new Wordpress forum software that works with your blog (ie. people who comment and register on your blog can also use the forum) Plus both have loads of plugins you can use to extend their functionality.

lyceum
August 18th, 2008, 02:44 AM
If you're thinking of a blog with a forum, (that's a great idea) Wordpress have both and they look great, as usual. You probably know about www.wordpress.org where the Wordpress blogging software can be downloaded and installed on a server. But there is now also www.bbpress.org the new Wordpress forum software that works with your blog (ie. people who comment and register on your blog can also use the forum) Plus both have loads of plugins you can use to extend their functionality.

Thank you for the suggestion. I originally looked into that idea and was going to go with Drupal. However, I can build a website myself with Ruby on Rails very quickly with more control. I am a web designer/programmer and I use Ruby on Rails for a living. It makes sense to me that I stick with what I know :)

At this point, I should be starting on the site next week. I will start posting screen shots and throwing out more ideas while I am working on it. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.