PDA

View Full Version : Get rid of search time limit

rossjman1
August 15th, 2008, 02:16 AM
I think that the search limit should be revoked. I mistype some searches, and I have to wait a pointless 15 seconds to fix a typo?

jpeddicord
August 15th, 2008, 02:49 AM
I think that the search limit should be revoked. I mistype some searches, and I have to wait a pointless 15 seconds to fix a typo?

Those fifteen seconds are not pointless. The server is at a high load as it is, and if that limit was removed it would probably explode. It's there simply to keep load down so people don't constantly run searches on it. If you typo something, sorry, you still have to wait.

Master Chief
August 15th, 2008, 03:09 AM
I can understand the server load/limits but search could as well be a lot smarter and either check for obvious typos, or let people change one or two characters.

jpeddicord
August 15th, 2008, 03:14 AM
I can understand the server load/limits but search could as well be a lot smarter and either check for obvious typos, or let people change one or two characters.

But that's the problem: it's not that smart. Searching for "compis" generates a search, and searching for "compiz" has to generate a completely different search. They both cause load to rise, and spreading them out by 15 seconds helps keep it down. Really, 15 seconds in my opinion is really generous. Most forums I've been to have had wait limits of a minute or longer.

That said, ubuntu-geek knows more about the search load than me, so I'll leave it up to him.

rossjman1
August 15th, 2008, 03:25 AM
That's weird, most forums that I go to don't have such a wait at all.

kaibob
August 15th, 2008, 03:37 AM
I would like to see something in between. Perhaps two or three consecutive searches without a wait, after which a 15 or 30 second wait is enforced. I don't know if this is practical from a programming point of view, but it would help those of us who misspell or mistype words when searching.

yabbadabbadont
August 15th, 2008, 03:41 AM
Just use google with "site:ubuntuforums.org" as one of the search terms. You'll get better results, and won't have any wait when changing the search.

schauerlich
August 15th, 2008, 08:10 AM
just use google with "site:ubuntuforums.org" as one of the search terms. You'll get better results, and won't have any wait when changing the search.

+1

Elfy
August 15th, 2008, 08:44 AM
or any of the search engines which search ubuntu. I would rather see a longer timeout if it means we get less problems with slow access to the forum.

jpeddicord
August 15th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Just use google with "site:ubuntuforums.org" as one of the search terms. You'll get better results, and won't have any wait when changing the search.

I didn't think that was true at first, but it really is a good idea. Google crawls this site very frequently. There have been times when a topic was posted and it was indexed in Google within minutes.

cyberdork33
August 15th, 2008, 09:12 PM
I usually get much better results from google, and unless I am doing something specific (like looking for all posts by xxxx in yyyy forum) I don't use the site search.

Master Chief
August 16th, 2008, 01:09 PM
I would like to suggest to use Google by default i.e. replace the Search textbox and to add an "Advanced" search that will have this 15 second delay i.e. uses the site's search functions.

Users get better search results this way, and the website less search hits. Making both camps happy.

jpeddicord
August 17th, 2008, 02:53 AM
I would like to suggest to use Google by default i.e. replace the Search textbox and to add an "Advanced" search that will have this 15 second delay i.e. uses the site's search functions.

Users get better search results this way, and the website less search hits. Making both camps happy.

That actually does sound like a decent idea. We'll have to wait for ubuntu-geek to see this thread for a verdict.

yabbadabbadont
August 17th, 2008, 02:59 AM
It has been proposed many times before.... if the search worked properly, you would be able to see that. ;)

lisati
August 17th, 2008, 03:00 AM
One search might not seem like much, but if everyone currently at the site (both signed in members and guests) did a search at the same time, things would really slow down. The last time I checked (a few minutes ago) there were over 6000 people noted at http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php

articpenguin
August 17th, 2008, 03:13 AM
Those fifteen seconds are not pointless. The server is at a high load as it is, and if that limit was removed it would probably explode. It's there simply to keep load down so people don't constantly run searches on it. If you typo something, sorry, you still have to wait.

ummm servers are meant to be used on high load get your facts right

lisati
August 17th, 2008, 03:16 AM

What was that about cheese again? Participating in these forums are optional, and we're entitled to differences in perspective.....

yabbadabbadont
August 17th, 2008, 03:18 AM
What was that about cheese again? Participating in these forums are optional, and we're entitled to differences in perspective.....

He already opened a thread in the resolution center asking for his account to be removed. Of course, they will only deactivate it and not actually delete it.

jpeddicord
August 17th, 2008, 03:19 AM

Load is relative. A low load here would be about 2 or 3. Right now it isn't bad:

2.47 2.71 3.07 | 6,174 Users Online

During the higher points of the day, it's usually around 8.

When on Digg, it's near 100. ;)

lisati
August 17th, 2008, 03:19 AM
He already opened a thread in the resolution center asking for his account to be removed. Of course, they will only deactivate it and not actually delete it.

I'd noticed, hence the reference to cheese (well, almost to cheese) in the Word Association thread.

lisati
August 17th, 2008, 03:28 AM
i like eggs

I think we've noticed that you're not happy. Is there any specific problem relating to time limits between searches that we can help you with?

articpenguin
August 17th, 2008, 03:37 AM
I think we've noticed that you're not happy. Is there any specific problem relating to time limits between searches that we can help you with?

im fine im bored and i like eggs and bacon

ps
mandriva kicks ***

rossjman1
August 17th, 2008, 11:40 PM
So back on topic, is there any way I can add an Ubuntu Forums search to Firefox?

jpeddicord
August 18th, 2008, 03:02 AM
So back on topic, is there any way I can add an Ubuntu Forums search to Firefox?

I think someone made a search plugin for it at one point. A really quick solution would be to go to the front page, right-click in the Search box, and click "Add a Keyword for this Search." Give it a fancy name, and set the keyword to uf. Then, to search, just type "uf compiz problem" in the location bar to search for compiz problem.

Elfy
August 18th, 2008, 10:18 AM
uboontu.com has a plugin to search the forum.