PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] users joining to send spam in PMs

tommynz1975
August 14th, 2008, 12:16 AM
who do I direct these messages to? or do I just add users to ignore list?

the message said

Hi!
hello, is this your thread? http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?f...oster&t=707988 (http://www.preowned-SPAM-watches.us/). Thanks
this link takes one to preowned watches.us so dont bother clicking it....

The user has only just joined ubuntuforums this month..

please tell me this is not a taste of things to come.........

halitech
August 14th, 2008, 12:19 AM
let me guess, was the user conkhongem? I got the same one and I sent it to the admins to deal with.

sisco311
August 14th, 2008, 12:20 AM
Forward the PM to a mod or admin (and a link to user profile)

tommynz1975
August 14th, 2008, 12:23 AM
the user is thienduong

as you have quoted another name, this tells me its organized mayhem. oh well these things happen.

halitech
August 14th, 2008, 12:25 AM
the other user was probably banned already so came back with a new name. Hopefully the mods/admins can figure something out to keep them away.

bodhi.zazen
August 14th, 2008, 12:31 AM
Moved to the Resolution Center (did not seem best in Feedback).

This has been a particularly recalcitrant kind of trolling :(

We are working on it ...

LaRoza
August 14th, 2008, 12:32 AM
Moved to the Resolution Center (did not seem best in Feedback).

This has been a particularly recalcitrant kind of trolling :(

We are working on it ...

All the others are in FF&H including the thread telling users what to do when they get them.

tommynz1975
August 14th, 2008, 12:38 AM
thanks for your comments just one more thought.... that is prolly here that I have not noticed,,,,,

could one please add abuse/spam as an option by the forward and reply buttons in Private Messages... and it would then send such a message as a thread to your private mod/admin message board..... This would save folks sending PMs to mods/admin and it might be read by that one person when they open their message box..

LaRoza
August 14th, 2008, 01:09 AM
could one please add abuse/spam as an option by the forward and reply buttons in Private Messages... and it would then send such a message as a thread to your private mod/admin message board..... This would save folks sending PMs to mods/admin and it might be read by that one person when they open their message box..

That was suggested in the other threads and was answered by me earlier.

We have a new system in place, so any spam in PM's discovered should be already banned. There should be no more new ones.

bodhi.zazen
August 14th, 2008, 01:11 AM
All the others are in FF&H including the thread telling users what to do when they get them.

Heh ... That should be a sticky :twisted:

LaRoza
August 14th, 2008, 01:17 AM
Heh ... That should be a sticky :twisted:

Well, now that the admins implemented the new rules, we shouldn't have to worry about them. I will change it to say to forward them to Joeb454 only (they'll already be banned so it would be a waste of time, and his time is less valuable than mine (to me))

Now we have to contend with the 75 post requirement to send PM's.

I already had someone complain about it to me (couldn't send a PM to me) and I didn't know of it at the time.