PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Serval Performance Screen?

wrender
August 13th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Does the current Serval Performance have a glossy screen or a matte/anti-glare screen?

I know the new one is going to have the matte option but I am just curious about the current one.:confused:

thomasaaron
August 13th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Glossy.

abuakel
August 13th, 2008, 10:16 PM
I don't really understand the difference between glossy and matte finish.
Is there a difference in quality?

thomasaaron
August 13th, 2008, 10:26 PM
Glossy is shiny.

Matte is more... like satin. It doesn't reflect background light as much as glossy might.

I think it's less a matter of quality and more a matter of preference.

wrender
August 14th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Glossy screens in a dark room are clearer and sharper. But if you take it outside or turn some lights on you will be able to see your face and the whole room reflecting in your screen which defeats the clarity that it originally provided.

I have no idea why people like glossy screens for something that is suppose to be mobile. My only theory why almost all laptops now have glossy screens is that people like shiny stuff. I was actually getting desperate to find a non glossy laptop and my last resort was an mac until system76 informed about the new serval that will have a matte option. Which made me very happy.:KS

gabaumgartner
August 14th, 2008, 06:06 PM
The specs on the website don't list a matte screen option. So I'm confused about the "new" serval. Is the currently listed serval the "new" one or is the "new" one yet to be posted? If the latter, is there an ETA on it's availability?

thomasaaron
August 14th, 2008, 06:33 PM
The Serval on the website will *probably* be replaced by a newer model soon.
I don't have the specs or exact date yet.