PDA

View Full Version : Lets give Ubuntu some love...

dmitriy
August 13th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Here's my mock up of a possible Ubuntu interface. It is rough on the edges and I dont quite like the Places menu, but otherwise i would say its finished like 80%.

Suggestions and comments are appreciated.

--dmitriy

P.s: while i was docing GDM theme several people noticed that it was darker on their computers, so this might be the case for this mcokup too as I couldnt figure out how to calibrate my monitor. (fooled around w/ xcalib and lprof with no success...)

Swarms
August 13th, 2008, 05:55 PM
I think the buttons on the windows are a bit out of place, and the bar doesn't seem to fit either.

piousp
August 13th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Nice one, althougt i dont like gnome

dmitriy
August 13th, 2008, 06:00 PM
@swarms: by buttons on the window do you mean close, max, and min? what about the bar? which one? main toolbar or taskbar?... can you elaborate

thanks,
dmitriy

lukjad007
August 13th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Not bad. I especially like the wallpaper. Do you have it seperately?

dmitriy
August 13th, 2008, 07:10 PM
Small update... and wallpaper separate as requested...

Also if you liked this mockup you might like GDM theme that I finished several days ago that matches the whole borwn wood theme.

GDM theme: http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/I+am+sexy?content=86915

lukjad007
August 13th, 2008, 07:15 PM
Bravo! Thanks for the wallpaper. BTW do you have it under any licence? Am I allowed to make my own wallpaper based on this or would you prefer not?

dmitriy
August 13th, 2008, 07:21 PM
This wallpaper was based off http://zygat3r.deviantart.com/art/Dark-Wood-58266349 so I guess same license (if you can find what license was it) =)

Any suggestions for mockup? improvements, what u dont like? How would u rate it? some constructive feedback? anything pls...

-dmitriy
ps: just finished high school so i donk know license business and all the crziness like cc, lgpl and ...

Swarms
August 13th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Yes I mean the buttons on the windows, and by the bar I mean the gnome panel.

MadsRH
August 13th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Hi, great work! I would love to see this as a candidate for the Ibex theme.

Okay, feedback - I think the windows top (Title and menu) has to be something other than just brown. I'm not sure how I picture it, but certainly different.

I really hope you will continue your amazing work (also a +1 on the beautiful GDM) - nice work, and join the art-team :)
Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

//MadsRH

dmitriy
August 13th, 2008, 07:51 PM
@swarms: check out mockup#2 - i changed close, min, max to match the window style.

@MadsRH: thank you. About the title and menu bar I am also thinking its kinda sucky. Certainly could be improved. You mentioned candidate themes for Ibex? where are they? wiki? Also I went to #ubuntu-art and no discussions were going on... thanks again.

smartboyathome
August 14th, 2008, 02:29 AM
dmitriy: You cannot redistribute that wallpaper. It is copyrighted (says so right under the preview on the deviantart page). I would urge you to take that down. :(

MadsRH
August 14th, 2008, 11:36 AM
dmitriy: You cannot redistribute that wallpaper. It is copyrighted (says so right under the preview on the deviantart page). I would urge you to take that down. :(

I'm sure another wallpaper can replace it. If not there's a lot of "wood" tutorials for Photoshop so you could make your own if you can't find one.

Here's the link to the art-wiki: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/Intrepid/

Check out "Wall-light" (that's willwill work again), perhaps you and him should team up???

dmitriy
August 14th, 2008, 07:18 PM
@smartboyathome: I actually researched a bit and found out that this wooden pattern was created by Henri Liriani. I m currently waiting for his reply on this matter. Hopefully he lets me use it.

@MadsRH: If Henri doesnt let me use it i guess i'll replace the thing with another wallpaper. But lets hope for the best =)

Also I m currently working on the usplash theme and its going pretty good. But the thing is that pic is stretched on the screen a bit in horizonatal direction. I got widescreen laptop. Anyway to fix it except by scaling the image? (same thing happens with default usplash) I think usplash theme is a vital part of Ubuntu and it should be asthetically pleasing like any other part of OS. Is it gonna be replaced by splashy or something else in Ibex.

I think you mentioned that there would be FaceBrowser instead of GDM current thingy. I cant seem to find like an update page or something that tells the current status of the project. I m excited about FaceBrowser.

-dmitriy

SphereCat1
August 15th, 2008, 12:30 AM
dimitry: This is a really awesome theme! I'd totally use it, except I run Xubuntu, and I'm writing my own window manager... :)

SphereCat1

dmitriy
August 15th, 2008, 09:00 PM
I m posting new update that adds some of the interface components.

Also I m not really sure how themes are created and why is there tons of different theme engines and other stuff.So how do i create a theme from mockup? are all decoration i drew possible to create? could someone be kind to explain basic theming process? And if i modify gtkrc how do i reload or see changes live without like loggin/loggin out?

I searched for good documentation but couldnt find anything...any useful links you know?

@SphereCat1: I m sure if the theme will be made it could be ported to xubuntu.

alihan1988
August 16th, 2008, 07:29 AM
It's such a huge step up from the current aesthetics, just WOW

BradwJensen
August 16th, 2008, 07:36 AM
It's such a huge step up from the current aesthetics, just WOW

That's what I thought when I first saw it, especially the Titlebar & Menubar being separated from the Toolbar on Nautilus windows.

That part alone is a lot more organized and easy one the brain/eyes.

I also like the slider-bar for changing icon size. However the 'show hidden files' and such objects are not needed, and can make quick glances a pain for some people.

Great start for something worth having!

mitza
August 16th, 2008, 08:13 AM
i really like you'r work and i hope you're going to make it a real theme. i have one suggestion, you could make the titlebar a little bit transparent. that wold be great! keep up the good work

Babbage
August 16th, 2008, 10:06 AM
I like it although it gives the feeling you're staring at the floor (the wallpaper looks like floorboards to me) Could it be given some perspective? Or changed to look less flat? For example made to look as if it is 3D and the floor is receeding into space. I think that would be more interesting visually.But I love the rich textured look.

dmitriy
August 16th, 2008, 05:51 PM
@BradwJensen: i m just displaying interface elements. these arent part of nautilus however, i agree that slide would be a nice addition! =)

thanks for positive comments.

trying to create a real theme now...

-dmitriy
ps: still waiting for henri to reply about licensing mod copy of wallpaper.

SphereCat1
August 16th, 2008, 06:44 PM
If it could be ported, I would totally use it. I love this theme!

Also, I think the Places menu would look more finished if the icons for Desktop, etc. were more descriptive of that location. So for example, a desktop icon for desktop, maybe a piece of paper for documents, you get the idea. :)

SphereCat1

dmitriy
August 16th, 2008, 07:09 PM
i didnt work on the icons yet so i put a few just to fill up the space. of course i ll provide some default set of icons to be used with this theme but which icon set to be used is up to the end user.

-dmitriy

days_of_ruin
August 17th, 2008, 10:51 PM
I think the buttons on the windows are a bit out of place, and the bar doesn't seem to fit either.

Also the ubuntu icon is bad but thats just part of the icon theme.

adredz
August 18th, 2008, 02:22 PM
hi, your theme is excellent! this is the way i want ubuntu themes should look like. the detail is so pleasing. it's so neat! will this mock up look exactly the same when it is coded? i'm afraid it will lack finesse and detail. i really really hope this gets implemented in ibex. one comment though, i think the tool bars' height is bit off charts. i think you should reduce it a little bit. :)

dmitriy
August 18th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Fortunetly I am pixel obsessed so I will make every effort on my part to make this theme as exact and detailed as possible. So far I worked on the menus and gnome panel and thats what I came up with. I think this resembles the my mockup 99% and looks really great. I also finished emerald theme as you can see in the screenshot. (How do i make shadow on all sides?)

Btw, how do I make my menus striped like in my screenshot? Anyone knows?

I m also having some problems with different applications such as Pidgin. Menu separators dont change =(

So to sum up: I ll make sure its perfecto =)

--dmitriy

adredz
August 19th, 2008, 02:48 AM
so nice! i like the scroll bars too. keep it up! :)

Bios Element
August 20th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Looking awesome! Only request i would have is that you try to keep all the elements from not taking up more screen space then they have too. It drives me nuts when i find an awesome theme but then find that the window borders and so forth take up 39% of the screen space.

adewale
August 21st, 2008, 04:18 PM
@dmitry
About the shadows on all sides, that can be done within emerald theme manager, under edit theme. Just edit it and save it. Very nice theme

dmitriy
August 22nd, 2008, 04:02 AM
@adewale: yeah thats what i am using right now however of i change offsets to be closer to zero (from 8 to like 1..4) then shadow gets fragmented (top part of shadow is darker than bottom part, bug?)

btw anyone knows if i will create an engine will it give me fuller control of layout and be more pixel specific than just an theme?

thanks,
dmitriy

adewale
August 22nd, 2008, 02:54 PM
@dmitriy
hmm maybe its a bug, but why not take a look at existing emerald themes that have shadow around them and see how it was implemented ?

dmitriy
August 22nd, 2008, 11:25 PM
@adewale: thats how i do stuff, lookin at other themes ;) Currently my shadow settings are like this:

shadow_color=#000000
shadow_opacity=0.49999999999999998
shadow_radius=10
shadow_offset_x=1
shadow_offset_y=6

By changing offset_y to like 2 makes shadows appear frgamented. Look at the attachment. Probably a bug...

(brown line at the top is something else...oops)

adewale
August 23rd, 2008, 01:56 PM
I had come across a similar problem with this theme. http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Truth+for+linux?content=45987 but setting the shadow was simple.