PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Fingerprint reader

sjweinberg
August 12th, 2008, 06:42 AM
I will quickly admit that this is a silly question, but I can't help but ask.

I am getting a new Dell Studio laptop. I have been convinced to switch the OS to Ubuntu by a friend of mine, but there is one rather sad problem. The Studio laptop has a fingerprint reader! It is a terrible thought that the reader will have no use if I switch the OS. Do any of you know if any software has been written to allow the integrated fingerprint reader to run on Ubuntu? What about another Linux system like Debian?

Thanks, and I know that the fingerprint reader is not secure... it doesn't matter to me... I just think it's cool.

Teamgeist
August 12th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Hi.
The fingerprint reader works just fine on my Dell XPS m1330.

Have a look here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ThinkFinger and you should be all set.
Just install the thinkfinger package and then follow the steps provided in the link above.

Have fun with Ubuntu and give yourself a little time to learn things. This is not Windows and does not want to be Windows.

Eventually you'll love it. Trust me. ;-)

undoIT
August 13th, 2008, 01:07 AM
Yeah. I just installed thinkfinger on my M1330 and it is working beautifully :)

superm1
August 13th, 2008, 02:08 AM
The studio's fingerprint reader unfortunately isn't supported by Thinkfinger. It is supported by fprint (which is in Intrepid now, but not hardy)

Teamgeist
August 13th, 2008, 10:14 AM
The studio's fingerprint reader unfortunately isn't supported by Thinkfinger. It is supported by fprint (which is in Intrepid now, but not hardy)

Thanks for the answer, Mario.
Too bad it's not working now.
Anyway only 2 months...

stormdragon2976
January 30th, 2009, 08:15 PM
I have a Dell Studio 1536. I tried fprint and it doesn't detect the fingerprint reader. Also have had some trouble with the webcam freezing at least when doing pictures in cheese, and I absolutely can not get the built in microphone to work lol. Anyway, is there another fingerprint reader package to try?
Thanks

superm1
January 30th, 2009, 08:30 PM
I have a Dell Studio 1536. I tried fprint and it doesn't detect the fingerprint reader. Also have had some trouble with the webcam freezing at least when doing pictures in cheese, and I absolutely can not get the built in microphone to work lol. Anyway, is there another fingerprint reader package to try?
Thanks
Ah so it's not. I had thought fprint was supposed to support the Authentec readers. No other packages are available. You might want to check with upstream about getting support for your reader.

geoffm
February 22nd, 2009, 05:06 AM
I have the ubuntu m1330. Great great buy, it's awesome.
What do you want the fingerprint reader for? It's not going to keep anyone from stealing it. I have the fingerprint reader and haven't even tried it, I figure it's quicker to use a password than sweep my finger 3 times on that thing.

BTW, you haven't bought it yet?
Here's my advice:
DO get the LED screen if you can. Makes the battery last 4 hours, the machine is a bit lighter and thinner and the screen visual quality is outstanding. For a high-end tool that's gonna last a few years, it's well worth 150$
You might want to consider buy extra RAM and extra of disk and space. ubuntu m1330 starts with a small 120GB of HD and a tiny 1GB of RAM. for 30$ you can add 40GB, and each +1GB of RAM costs 50$... worth it.

undoIT
February 22nd, 2009, 05:59 AM
I have the ubuntu m1330. Great great buy, it's awesome.
What do you want the fingerprint reader for? It's not going to keep anyone from stealing it. I have the fingerprint reader and haven't even tried it, I figure it's quicker to use a password than sweep my finger 3 times on that thing.

BTW, you haven't bought it yet?
Here's my advice:
DO get the LED screen if you can. Makes the battery last 4 hours, the machine is a bit lighter and thinner and the screen visual quality is outstanding. For a high-end tool that's gonna last a few years, it's well worth 150$
You might want to consider buy extra RAM and extra of disk and space. ubuntu m1330 starts with a small 120GB of HD and a tiny 1GB of RAM. for 30$ you can add 40GB, and each +1GB of RAM costs 50$... worth it.

For me, the fingerprint reader isn't about security, it's about the convenience of not having to type in my password numerous times whenever I use my laptop. The less typing the better :)