PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] kubuntu automatic partitioning during install... is it reliable?

WinterMadness
August 12th, 2008, 01:35 AM
it asks me for the percentage of disk space kubuntu will take, is this a reliable method of partitioning and will all mywindows files be safe?

Crafty Kisses
August 12th, 2008, 01:36 AM
it asks me for the percentage of disk space kubuntu will take, is this a reliable method of partitioning and will all mywindows files be safe?

I know when I first switched to Ubuntu (2006), it worked so I don't see why not.

WinterMadness
August 12th, 2008, 01:43 AM
it says:

warning: this will destroy all data on any partitions you have removed as well as partitions that are going to be formatted.

this has me a bit worried. i dont wantto lose any files i have on vista

WinterMadness
August 12th, 2008, 01:58 AM
it says:

warning: this will destroy all data on any partitions you have removed as well as partitions that are going to be formatted.

can anyone clarify that for me? am i going to lose vista as well as the files on it?

Crafty Kisses
August 12th, 2008, 01:59 AM
it says:

Are you doing the guided partition or manual partition?

WinterMadness
August 12th, 2008, 02:02 AM
Are you doing the guided partition or manual partition?

guided, i set the percentages as 90% vista. i know this seems stupid but im just trying to make sure.

ntu
August 12th, 2008, 02:27 AM
Its a while since I installed ubuntu, but I recall there was an option there for installing into unallocated space, ie unallocated to any existing partition.

lapubell
August 12th, 2008, 02:55 AM
it will list out the partitions that ubuntu will format, so as long as your vista install is on a partition that isn't listed, you are fine.

if you are this worried, why not just use wubi? install kubuntu from inside vista, and you won't need to worry about disk partitioning...