PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Serious Problem i think

Bluangel88
August 12th, 2008, 12:30 AM
Laptop worked great this morning. Came home from work turned it on and this is what i have Instead of the blue screen of death its the black screen of jibberish.

(intirams) I hit enter figuring it was stuck at this screen. Then another line came up and said type help so I did and this is what i got.

(initramfs)
. : alias break cd chdir command continue echo false getopts hash help let local pwd read readonly return set shift times trap true type ulimit umask unalias unset wait [ [[ ash awk basename busybox cat chmod chroot chvt clear cmp cp cut deallocvt dumpkmap echo egrep env expr false fbset fdflush fgrep hostname ifconfig ip kill ln loadfont loadkmap ls mkdir mkfifo mknod mkswap mknod mkswap mktemp more mount mv openvt pidof printf pwd readlink reset rm rmdir sed setkeycodes sh sleep sort stst sync tail tee test touch tr true tty unmount uname uniq wget yes

I hit enter

trigsenior
August 12th, 2008, 12:37 AM
hi,

can you access terminal in any way ? can you use ctr - alt - f5 to get to terminal ?

Bluangel88
August 12th, 2008, 12:43 AM
I restarted the machine and ubuntu started this time. So yes I can get to the terminal now.

trigsenior
August 12th, 2008, 12:50 AM
very weird ,

I can't really suggest much apart from looking in system > administration > system log. Look at exact time and date in syslog and see if there are any errors or something weird. However not sure if system log logs things before Ubuntu has started so it a bit of a hit in the dark.

Rog-Mahal
August 12th, 2008, 12:50 AM
initramfs is the basic shell that your computer uses before it boots to your kernel and starts bash. (I think that's how it works.) If you're working from it, that means that something stalled during startup. Did anything else appear on the screen before you got to that prompt?

Bluangel88
August 12th, 2008, 01:00 AM
No just that in I word in parenthasis

Bluangel88
August 12th, 2008, 01:27 AM
I do not know what i am looking for in the log but it is pages and pages of stuff.

Ihave looked and for my beginners eyes don't see anything unusual. On further examination I have found

lp: driver loaded but no devices found
No dock devices
apm: Bios not found

All of this is upon start up trying to load. Again i am about two weeks new to Linux. So anything you could suggest that i need to check
would be appreciated.

Bluangel88
August 12th, 2008, 01:44 AM
I am looking in the debug, kern, sys log and it had a bit of

APIC error on CPU1: 00(40)

APIC error on CPU1: 40(40)

Daveski
August 31st, 2008, 11:07 PM
You could try the noapic option:

Press F6 at the boot up screen.
You should see a line ending with "--quiet splash."
Delete --quiet splash, add the option noapic after ro so you have ro noapic