PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Need networking help

kender42
August 12th, 2008, 12:10 AM
I have been trying for months to access my windows shares to no avail. I have read many of the other posts on this issue and nothing has worked. My windows share are on a network drive attached to a 2wire 2701 that handles the DHCP. When my windows laptop is away from my home network I can't access any of the shares that are on the network drive. Now, since the last update, my home network won't show up for me at all. The router says that I'm connected but no listings in Places -> Network -> Windows Network.

I have become so frustrated with this issue that I'm considering going back to Windows since neither Ubuntu nor any other distro I've tried seems to work. It all worked on a clean install with no updates. As soon as I updated Ubuntu it all went kaput.

halitech
August 12th, 2008, 12:19 AM
When my windows laptop is away from my home network I can't access any of the shares that are on the network drive. Now, since the last update, my home network won't show up for me at all. The router says that I'm connected but no listings in Places -> Network -> Windows Network.
if the laptop is not on the same network you won't be able to access it

I have become so frustrated with this issue that I'm considering going back to Windows since neither Ubuntu nor any other distro I've tried seems to work. It all worked on a clean install with no updates. As soon as I updated Ubuntu it all went kaput.

have you checked the IP addresses on all devices involved to make sure they are all on the same network?

kender42
August 12th, 2008, 12:36 AM
if the laptop is not on the same network you won't be able to access it

have you checked the IP addresses on all devices involved to make sure they are all on the same network?

Yes all the computers and the network drive are on the same network. The drive is a stand alone drive connected to the router. But when the laptop is away then I can no longer access the network drive.

My ISP gave us the router and is set to name the home network "HOME".

If you need it here's the listing of my fstab:

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
# /dev/sdb1
UUID=7a39f04e-0933-41fd-81be-9354d3c43022 / ext3 relatime,errors=remount-ro 0 1
# /dev/sdb5
UUID=a7b3604b-61e1-4b0d-809c-720891bd4720 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0
/dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0

halitech
August 12th, 2008, 12:43 AM
no mention of the network drive in your fstab at all

what is the address you are trying to connect to of the network drive?

also, what is the IP address of the actual drive itself?

kender42
August 12th, 2008, 12:59 AM
no mention of the network drive in your fstab at all

what is the address you are trying to connect to of the network drive?

also, what is the IP address of the actual drive itself?

The address of the network drive is 192.168.1.67

the home network is using the default ip address allocaton of 192.168.1.*

the entire network drive is set up as a smb share. That's all it will allow me to do but Iomega told me it will work for linux but I can't get support through them. But I don't understand why it worked one day then the next it didn't. I also don't understand why when the laptop goes away the entire network is inaccessible when the laptop is not configured with any shares.

halitech
August 12th, 2008, 01:04 AM
can you ping the network drive?

kender42
August 12th, 2008, 01:14 AM
yes it pings with no errors

halitech
August 12th, 2008, 01:20 AM
ok, so what is the address you are actually trying to connect to? (ie. smb://???????)

kender42
August 12th, 2008, 01:21 AM
I'm trying to connect to 192.168.1.67 in the folder named Public

halitech
August 12th, 2008, 01:24 AM
ok but how are you trying to connect? Did you go places - network, are you typing the address in Nautilus? explain how you connect to it.

kender42
August 12th, 2008, 01:29 AM
I use Places->Network->Windows Network but that's as far as I get now.

Used to be Places->Network->Windows Network->Netdrive->Public and there were all my files.

kender42
August 12th, 2008, 02:34 AM
Is this where my help ends?

halitech
August 12th, 2008, 03:27 AM
sorry, was off putting my son to bed and watching a little tv and relaxing a little :)

try this, go to Places - COnnect to server. Select Windows Share for the service type, enter the IP address where it says Server and any other info that is required (ie, username and password if required) and then click on connect. It should create an icon on your desktop. Open that and see if it will connect.

kender42
August 12th, 2008, 06:24 AM
I understand, I have 2 kids myself. 4 yr and 10 mo. ok so I did that and I keep getting a box that says that I need to enter the user name and password and there isn't even one set. I have the drive set up as a public share so it won't let me even enter a user/pass unless it's set up as private.

The screen won't let me continue

[added]
Ok so it also asks me for a domain which I assume is my network name? So I entered that as well and it just keeps giving me the dialog box asking for a user name and pass. I tried entering in the admin user name and pass and that didn't work either. I am able to access it via HTTP but not mount it. HTTP is only for the admin settings.

halitech
August 12th, 2008, 06:34 PM
ok, so we are making some headway but not much, at least we know we can connect to it and get asked for a username and password.

if you leave the settings blank, will it allow you to click connect?

kender42
August 12th, 2008, 07:56 PM
ok, so we are making some headway but not much, at least we know we can connect to it and get asked for a username and password.

if you leave the settings blank, will it allow you to click connect?

No, here's what I get:

Can't display location "smb://192.168.1.67/"
No application is registered as handling this file

halitech
August 12th, 2008, 08:06 PM
taking info from here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=852029

try opening Nautilus and in the address bar type in smb://192.168.1.67/*foldername* and see if it will connect

kender42
August 12th, 2008, 08:28 PM
How do I open Nautilus? I can't find it in my menus

Oops ok had a brain fart. lol. Ok I typed it into the address bar and it connected to the network drive. Thank you for that.:D Is there a way to have a shortcut for it? If not opening it that way is not a problem.

halitech
August 12th, 2008, 10:11 PM
with Nautilus open you can bookmark it one of 2 ways, Press CTRL-D or go to Bookmarks - Add Bookmark and then it will show in the lower left corner for you :)

if we have it solved, mark the thread solved so others will know a resolution is in this thread if they have the same problem :)

wpqc213
August 15th, 2008, 01:54 AM
While we're on the networking subject maybe you can shed a little light on my problem. Previously I used to be able to go to places and then network and it would show all the machines on my network now all it does is brings up a Windows network icon and if I click on that it brings a Mshome network which is my network name but it will not display anything from that point on. I havent changed any settings at all..only difference is that I went from Cable ISP to DSL but I'm using the same router and no changes. Also I can ping both ways but thats about it!

Strange situation!

Wayne

halitech
August 15th, 2008, 01:57 AM
would be best to start a new thread with your problem as this thread has been marked solved but have you tried the steps that were given to help Kender42?

wpqc213
August 15th, 2008, 02:09 AM
Yes I did.. Just got through giving those a try. I have no idea what happened in the first place. Normally when I clicked on network I got all of the boxes listed. Also another strange thing is it lets me access my ubuntu files from the Windows XP boxes without ever needing a password and it was originally setup to require that. I hate to do a complete reinstall due to having to transfer all the data. Real stumper for me anyway!

Thanks!

Wayne