PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Why does suspend cause blank screen??

gabriella
August 11th, 2008, 11:44 PM
When I click on Suspend my Laptop goes to sleep just fine. But... when I try to resume the drive powers up, i.e you can hear it engage etc, but the screen then goes blank and I cant do a thing with it. Nothing..it's frozen.. and I have to crash it and reboot. Help!

edm1
August 11th, 2008, 11:50 PM
this is a problem with the closed source drivers the manufacturers have written for your graphics card. Unfortuately there is no real fix although i have seen some work-arounds on the forum (which havent worked for me).

tuxxy
August 11th, 2008, 11:50 PM
Do you really need susped? if not you could remove the power settings at system > prefs > screen saver > power management

gabriella
August 12th, 2008, 01:53 AM
Do you really need susped? if not you could remove the power settings at system > prefs > screen saver > power management

Thanks guys. Yes for now I've removed it in power management and just go to blank screen. But there's really no solution to this??? Where do I find the work arounds?

groosam
April 29th, 2009, 05:31 PM
I have a Ideapad Y430 and had the same problem. I installed a new driver for my video card, now everything works fine. Go to Administration>Hardware Drivers..and download the most recent.

Cheers

gabriella
May 7th, 2009, 08:59 PM
I have a Ideapad Y430 and had the same problem. I installed a new driver for my video card, now everything works fine. Go to Administration>Hardware Drivers..and download the most recent.

Cheers

Thanks for you comment :)

What driver did you download? Do you mean the open source one?
The one I have listed in Administration>Hardware Drivers is the ATI accelerated graphics driver

presence1960
May 8th, 2009, 02:48 AM
this is a problem with the closed source drivers the manufacturers have written for your graphics card. Unfortuately there is no real fix although i have seen some work-arounds on the forum (which havent worked for me).

+1

I had no suspend or hibernate in Hardy or Intrepid. I tried all those fixes and work arounds also to no avail. But here is the good news: I did a clean install of Jaunty and both work out of the box- no fussing or workarounds needed!

gabriella
May 8th, 2009, 09:37 AM
+1

I had no suspend or hibernate in Hardy or Intrepid. I tried all those fixes and work arounds also to no avail. But here is the good news: I did a clean install of Jaunty and both work out of the box- no fussing or workarounds needed!

Thats good news indeed. I'm trying to resolve as many of these problems as a I can now for experience purposes before I go and install a clean copy of 9.04