PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Did I kill my ubuntu install???

smergs
August 11th, 2008, 07:38 PM
So I've been playing around with ubuntu 8.04 for the last week or so. I've been really enjoying the OS and had started to get brave enough to try different things out. I ended up installing Wine this morning and then installed steam. After the steam install was complete I installed the original half-life. To my surprise it was working fine when I first started playing. I was riding in on the train and jumping around and after about 5 minutes or so it just froze. I couldn't find a way to get out of it so I ended up pressing the reset button on the front of my computer. When I started it up I started to see the following message scrolling over and over.

descriptor -top/console_setup: /scripts/init-top/console_setup: 1: 11: Bad fil

I may not have it exactly right but it was something really close to that. So am I going to have to do a complete reinstall or is there a way to repair this?

:confused:

fahadsadah
August 11th, 2008, 07:46 PM
See if booting into recovery mode helps.

smergs
August 11th, 2008, 07:49 PM
See if booting into recovery mode helps.

I'm a complete n00b here. Can you explain how I can do that please? Thanks!

fahadsadah
August 11th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Reboot/turn on your computer. As it boots, there is something that says GRUB Stage 1.5 or similar. Repeatedly press the escape key, until a menu comes up. Select the second option.

smergs
August 11th, 2008, 07:56 PM
Reboot/turn on your computer. As it boots, there is something that says GRUB Stage 1.5 or similar. Repeatedly press the escape key, until a menu comes up. Select the second option.

Ok. I did that. Now at the bottom of the screen I see the following:
Loading, please wait...
/scripts/init-top/all_generic_ide: /scripts/init- top/all_generic_ide: 18: -13107
4: Bad file descriptor

Any ideas? Looks like it is just frozen at this point.

smergs
August 11th, 2008, 08:10 PM
I let it sit at that recovery screen for a while and then just restarted the computer. When it restarted it came right back up! Thanks!

Crafty Kisses
August 11th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Ok. I did that. Now at the bottom of the screen I see the following:
Loading, please wait...
/scripts/init-top/all_generic_ide: /scripts/init- top/all_generic_ide: 18: -13107
4: Bad file descriptor

Sounds like your filesystem is corrupt, when in recovery mode run this:

fsck