PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I'm a fool who forgot his password and/or username

ramunenke
August 11th, 2008, 03:34 PM
I have ubuntu as a partition but I haven't logged into Ubuntu in a month. How can I recover my info because I dont want to reinstall again.

Vadi
August 11th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Try this:

When Ubuntu boots, select Esc for the boot menu (Grub) and select recovery mode. Ubuntu will then boot w/o asking you for a password signed in as root. Type passwd USERNAME and it will reset your password. Let me know if this doesn't work :)

Vivaldi Gloria
I have ubuntu as a partition but I haven't logged into Ubuntu in a month. How can I recover my info because I dont want to reinstall again.

1) When boot starts select Esc for the grub boot menu.

2) Select recovery mode. Ubuntu will then boot and log in as root.

3) Type

passwd <your_username>

and it will create new password.

I assumed that you remember your username.

tuxxy
At boot select recoverymode from grub, now you should be at a prompt with root privs, try change the password with

passwd master

or just make a new user

adduser newuser_name admin

So the newuser has admin privs also.

xzaverax
August 11th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Hi, i may be wrong but i do not think that you can get the information without being able to login to Ubuntu. you could always reinstall it if you have no data you would not mind losing.

DirtyDawg
August 11th, 2008, 03:46 PM
LOL, it happens to the best of us :)

pparks1
August 11th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Hi, i may be wrong but i do not think that you can get the information without being able to login to Ubuntu. you could always reinstall it if you have no data you would not mind losing.

Actually, with the recovery mode you can get in and you get in as root with no password being asked. That's the primary reason that physical security is such a huge deal. Anybody with physical access and a CD pretty much owns your computer. Obviously other things like BIOS passwords and drive encryption may slow them down/stop them...but most people don't go to that extent.

.nedberg
August 11th, 2008, 04:22 PM
You can find your password by using the ls in the home dir
ls 1 /home it will liste all home-folders of users, just pick yours from the list!

ramunenke
August 11th, 2008, 06:32 PM
I would like to thank all of you benevolent bastards for all your help. I typing from my ubuntu partition right now. I followed Vadi's and Vivaldi's advice and it let me create a new password. Thanks.