PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] (k) ubuntu and dual core cpu's, some questions......

techno-mole
August 11th, 2008, 03:32 PM
hello, im posting this mainly to ask how ubuntu deals with dual core cpu's ?
im assuming that it works well with a dual core setup, but wondered how effective it is, eg - does it use both cores efficiently ? can you (easily) set up each core to do different things ? (affinity or what ever its called)

on another note i might be getting a new main board (and dual core cpu) and cpu, nothing special, an athalon 5200 x2 and an ecs main board with 2 gig of ddr 2 ram, now the main board has a pci express slot, but i cant afford a pci express graphics card, but the board has onboard graphics in the form of an nvidia 6100 chip,
now obviously the on board graphics will use up some of the system ram (i dont know if this can be adjusted in the bios or in ubuntus settings) so will they work the same as having an add on card ? or are they a little slower,
the main reason i ask is that im experimenting with kubuntu and kde 4.1 (also running compiz as well) and if they wont run because of the onboard graphics, or at least run relatively well, i might hold off until i can afford a graphics card before upgrading the system.
cheers in advanced for any advice.

blazercist
August 11th, 2008, 03:37 PM
dual cores on ubuntu work very well you can do anything you want with them...

yes the onboard card will be slightly slower than a dedicated card and will eat some RAM which will also slow you down a little, but itll work and it shouldnt be really slow.

techno-mole
August 11th, 2008, 06:51 PM
cheers, very helpful