PDA

View Full Version : To avoid spammers send PM

sharks
August 11th, 2008, 03:07 PM
I think that this may be a good idea to avoid spammers sending PM to other users.Like we have(i guess) that there should be 75 posts to send a visitor message , we should also have that system for PM also.(atleast 50 posts to post a PM)

Joeb454
August 11th, 2008, 03:18 PM
I think that this may be a good idea to avoid spammers sending PM to other users.Like we have(i guess) that there should be 75 posts to send a visitor message , we should also have that system for PM also.(atleast 50 posts to post a PM)

This is currently being discussed by the staff

sharks
August 12th, 2008, 02:25 AM
and it will be good if there is report button on PM

Dr Small
August 12th, 2008, 02:55 AM
+1 to both your ideas, sharks.

kerry_s
August 12th, 2008, 03:14 AM
i agree on the spam button, but i don't think there should be a restriction number for posts. i have friends who have never posted on the forums, they just straight pm me for the answers.
pm's are suppose to be for 2 people to talk off the record, no matter how long they have been a member or whether they participate in the forum or not.

Dr Small
August 12th, 2008, 03:22 AM
i agree on the spam button, but i don't think there should be a restriction number for posts. i have friends who have never posted on the forums, they just straight pm me for the answers.
pm's are suppose to be for 2 people to talk off the record, no matter how long they have been a member or whether they participate in the forum or not.
Generally, that's what the XMPP protocol is for, but I do see your point. Perhaps if they enabled it for awhile and the spammers became discouraged, they would move on to some other forum, and then the thing could be disabled.

Otherwise, we could just turn on the report button for PMs and banhammer them as they spam :)

LaRoza
August 12th, 2008, 03:35 AM

That is a valid point and it is the reason why I didn't initially suggest it, but guess who has to deal with these PM spammers? It is getting really annoying. It seems the people who get them only get one, while I (and other mods) get our inboxes flooded with requests.

Right now, my upper right of the screen has a new thing I have never seen before "Your PM box is 90% full". Considering I have periodically purged it and mods have a limit of 2000 PM's, that is a problem.

kerry_s
August 12th, 2008, 03:39 AM
That is a valid point and it is the reason why I didn't initially suggest it, but guess who has to deal with these PM spammers? It is getting really annoying. It seems the people who get them only get one, while I (and other mods) get our inboxes flooded with requests.

Right now, my upper right of the screen has a new thing I have never seen before "Your PM box is 90% full". Considering I have periodically purged it and mods have a limit of 2000 PM's, that is a problem.

i guess if it's that much of a problem, just do what you guy's got to do, i'm sure we can live with it. :)

Canis familiaris
August 12th, 2008, 08:16 AM
If there would be indeed be restrictions on PMs by people based on number of post, they must surely at least have ability to PM the mods and admins.

lisati
August 12th, 2008, 08:20 AM
and it will be good if there is report button on PM

+1 to both your ideas, sharks.

A report button has already been suggested: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=5562752&postcount=22

Canis familiaris
August 12th, 2008, 08:21 AM
A report button has already been suggested: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=5562752&postcount=22

Response

It wouldn't help, we'd be unable to read the PM (mods can't read PM's)