PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] networking tutorial

LTFC2020
August 11th, 2008, 03:00 PM
hi
I've been searching myself about this for a while but cannot seem to get what I need
does anyone know a tutorial that explains very simply how to set up a network between ubuntu computers?
I am completely new to this and require a straightforward explanation of each part of the process and the jargon involved
preferably for gutsy
thanks

decoherence
August 11th, 2008, 03:07 PM
If all you want to do is share files, Download the openssh-server package on to each Ubuntu machine. Then under the Places menu go to Network. The machines should show up there thanks to the magic of Zeroconf.

LTFC2020
August 11th, 2008, 03:56 PM
I don't want to sound stupid, but I am, so thats how it comes across ;)
Ok so I installed the application on each machine and went to places - network where there is a icon for windows network
whats next?

decoherence
August 12th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Hmm... you're not stupid, there should be no "what's next." I must've left something out.

Can you confirm that avahi is running on the machines? Follow the menus...

System > Administration > Services

Check that "Multicast DNS Service Discovery (avahi-daemon)" is present and enabled.

Often things 'just work' for me and I forget what all I've set up to make it that way...

LTFC2020
August 13th, 2008, 07:25 AM
yeah I know what you mean about trying to remember how you set up something when you need to explain it to someone else....
anyway I checked that part of the system
Multicast DNS Service Discovery is present and enabled but not the avahi-daemon part

cariboo
August 13th, 2008, 07:44 AM
Here is a link to a networking tutorial, once you master networking, you can almost set up a working network anywhere.

http://www.aboutdebian.com/network.htm

This is for debian, but ubuntu is based on debian so everything will be the same.

Jim

decoherence
August 13th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Ah, I think I'm the stupid one now!

Do you have the openssh-server package installed? That's one thing I forgot to mention that could be the missing link.

On a subconscious level I guess I think everybody must be running an ssh server!

Before you say "but i don't want a remote shell!" Nautilus will actually treat it as a secure FTP connection, allowing file sharing and remote browsing in the standard, friendly (and encrypted!) way.