PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Gmail!

penguinee
August 11th, 2008, 06:59 AM
Hi! I just installed Ubuntu today and it's great! I think I'll get WoW working soon. :)

Anyway, I am posting here because my Gmail has a problem. When I log-in with a specific account, (Let's make it example@gmail.com) Gmail... Eh... How should I explain this? Gmail does kinda load, but it does so very slowly and I get this error in the Firefox logs:
"Warning: Error in parsing value for property 'display'. Declaration dropped."
>>and
"Warning: Unknown property 'zoom'. Declaration dropped."
"Warning: Unknown property 'zoom'. Declaration dropped."
"Warning: Use of getBoxObjectFor() is deprecated. Try to use element.getBoundingClientRect() if possible."
and alot of these again "Warning: Error in parsing value for property 'display'. Declaration dropped."

etc.

However, when I log into my other gmail account, (Let's name it example2@gmail.com), Gmail works fine!

I have tried cleaning the cache, and clearing private data, and restarting the computer. Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks!

Crafty Kisses
August 11th, 2008, 07:01 AM
Do you have Flash installed?

Living2007
August 11th, 2008, 07:03 AM
Try Thunderbird, Google has help for setting up Gmail on Thunderbird

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=77662&topic=12814

Slingshot
August 11th, 2008, 07:35 AM
Have you added something from the google labs on that account? Also try loading in in the basic HTML version and see what happens.

Nepherte
August 11th, 2008, 12:13 PM
Do you have Flash installed?
The Gmail website is ajax, not flash I believe.

penguinee
August 11th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Wow! Thanks for the fast replies.

I don't think that I installed anything from google labs.
I will try loading Gmail in the basic HTML.

What puzzles me is why one account works fine and the other doesnt. Thanks for your help, guys!

Crafty Kisses
August 11th, 2008, 11:16 PM
The Gmail website is ajax, not flash I believe.

Yeah, but it wouldn't hurt to have Flash running.

lukjad007
August 11th, 2008, 11:21 PM
Also, which Firefox toolbars/adons do you have installed? It may be that two or more of them are conflicting.

Living2007
August 12th, 2008, 02:17 AM
A good firefox add-on i would suggest if you use Gmail and other Google services alot is CustomizeGoogle (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/743) or CustomizeGoogle Enhanced

t0p
August 12th, 2008, 02:33 AM
I agree that CustomizeGoogle is a good add-on to have if you use google services (such as gmail) much. It probably wont help with the OPs problem, but its a good idea nevertheless.
As for the OPs problem: using an email client such as evolution or thunderbird to access gmail is easy to set up and will bypass the problem

penguinee
August 12th, 2008, 04:59 AM
Wow! The community's response on this topic is awesome! Thanks for your help, guys!

So, I guess a mail client will have to do... I wonder why one gmail address works and the other doesn't... Oh well.

INSTALLED ADDONS (FIREFOX)::

1.) ADBLOCK PLUS

2.) NO SCRIPT

3.) UBUNTU FIREFOX MODIFICATIONS 0.5.

That's it.

Thanks for your help again. :)

Slingshot
August 12th, 2008, 07:06 AM
Wow! The community's response on this topic is awesome! Thanks for your help, guys!

So, I guess a mail client will have to do... I wonder why one gmail address works and the other doesn't... Oh well.

INSTALLED ADDONS (FIREFOX)::

1.) ADBLOCK PLUS

2.) NO SCRIPT

3.) UBUNTU FIREFOX MODIFICATIONS 0.5.

That's it.

Thanks for your help again. :)

Using a mailer might resolve the issue IF you can get to the accounts section and setup a POP/IMAP forwarding. However, this might not always be an option if you at another computer.

Have you got access to a Windows machine or IE7 installed? see what happens there. Try VirtualBox to install a copy of Windows if you have one. Also see if Epiphinany browser has the same problems.

After what you have stated its something you have changed/added or different with that account in Gmail other the trend would show up across the board.

What about other Google services like maps and iGoogle - Any problems?

PS - you might want to try reading this and see if that helps http://support.mozilla.com/tiki-view_forum_thread.php?comments_parentId=75368&forumId=1

lukjad007
August 12th, 2008, 01:14 PM
This is just a shot in the blind, but check to see if NoScript has Gmail or Google blocked. If they are, allow them to run JavaScript.

Frenske
August 12th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Using an e-mail client is not ideal when you on the move a lot. For my work I need to travel regularly abroad. The type of work involved does not permit me to use a laptop (heavy computing and terra bytes of data) so I prefer to have all my e-mail on line rather downloading to one computer which I don't have access to the week after that.

jpeddicord
August 13th, 2008, 04:08 AM
I'm beating a dead horse, but for what it's worth, Gmail was down for almost 2 hours yesterday in most areas, which could have accounted for what you were('nt) seeing.

See http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2008/08/we-feel-your-pain-and-were-sorry.html

Living2007
August 13th, 2008, 04:17 AM
They seem to be back on thier feet. They just had a tempoary error. It's fine now Enjoy the 7GB