PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] desktop offcenter, mouse too; total newb!

uzir
August 11th, 2008, 06:32 AM
Hi, Please forgive me if I have completely wasted your time. It isn't my intention. To the hunt...

This is my first run at Hardy Heron, and I am running it off the cd on a (normally) windows xp box.

After the boot, the desktop appeared offset about two inches to the left. In order to click on stuff with the mouse, the cursor must be about two inches to the right of the icon or button, etc...

A window came up right off the bat that said something about settings not being right... sorry! I didn't write it down or anything, so aren't sure exactly what it did say, and I already closed it. Anyhoo...

I'd like to get the desktop centered properly, and be able to click on things at the cursor, rather than a couple inches off. Then I'll probably be able to begin to figure out how to access the HD's full of windoze files from Ubuntu??? Here's hoping...

I did look through help files and such, but wasn't able to find any solution to this particular problem right off the bat. If there's some solution to this that I should have found, upon being directed to it, I'll put it to work.

thanks!

hyper_ch
August 11th, 2008, 08:45 AM
to be honest, this is the first time I read about such an issue. As you run it through the desktop cd, try it again and if that error message appears again, write it down.

uzir
August 17th, 2008, 03:18 AM
Well, I have finally gotten around to trying again, and the error message did not reappear.

Any ideas?

uzir
August 18th, 2008, 09:12 AM
Anybody know why the mouse cursor would need to be about two inches to the right of what you wanted to click on? I would sure like to be able to use Linux, but this problem really presents an impediment to every possible use a computer could be put to.