PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] writing chinese with linux

Randicvs Andersonvs
August 11th, 2008, 06:10 AM
I tried to post this question on the Chinese forum, but it would not accept my name and password, so I hope someone here will know.
I would like to know where the best place is to find a package that will allow me to write Chinese in Openoffice. Openoffice can display Chinese writing, but I also want to write.
Any suggestions?

CloudFX
August 11th, 2008, 06:37 AM
Have you added a Chinese character keyboard layout? Go to System > Preferences > Keyboard, and under the Layouts tab, select add. Choose the specific layout, and give it a go.

Randicvs Andersonvs
August 11th, 2008, 10:03 AM
I have not added any Chinese software, other than a few founts. I doubt I have Chinese layout, but I shall give it a try.
Your reply was very fast. I thank you for your dilligence!

LTFC2020
August 11th, 2008, 12:12 PM
If you install UIM then you can toggle between chinese and english (or any other installed language)

seshomaru samma
August 14th, 2008, 04:14 AM
no no no
you need to install SCIM
read this (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SCIM)
notice that if you are using the latest edition of Ubuntu (hardy) then you only need to do the "quick setup" part (don't go past "Additional configuration if you're not using a CJK session").

If the quick setup doesn't work , post here (you will probably need to use the "Additional configuration if you're not using a CJK session"...)