PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Running in Low Graphics Mode

richie42
August 11th, 2008, 01:49 AM
Hi,my Ubuntu version 8.04 computer was running fine, but now I shut it down. When I turned it back on, it is now running in low graphics mode, apparently the graphics card is not compatible wih Ubuntu. What is going on? I need help. I am running an NVIDIA card...

richie42
August 11th, 2008, 01:54 AM
Okay, I see that my graphics card driver cannot be supported by Ubuntu. Can I get some help. It was running good for three days and then this happened. What is going on?

tuxxy
August 11th, 2008, 02:01 AM
Did you try and reinstall the driver? did you recently edit any settings for the device?

If the drivers did previously work but now fail you could try and reconfigure xorg from the terminal by entering this command

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

Now try and enable the drivers again

richie42
August 11th, 2008, 02:03 AM
This shows up, do I say yes?

┌───────────────────────┤ Configuring xserver-xorg ├────────────────────────┐

│ Rather than communicating directly with the video hardware, the X server │
│ may be configured to perform some operations, such as video mode │
│ switching, via the kernel's framebuffer driver. │
│ │
│ In theory, either approach should work, but in practice, sometimes one │
│ does and the other does not. Enabling this option is the safe bet, but │
│ feel free to turn it off if it appears to cause problems. │
│ │
│ Use kernel framebuffer device interface?

richie42
August 11th, 2008, 02:17 AM
And for the record, I dont kinow how to do either for eother of your questions. (Yes, I am a n00b)

richie42
August 11th, 2008, 02:38 AM
I need help. I accidentally closed the window that the process was in, and when I went into terminal again, I got this:

richard@theSelbys:~$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
[sudo] password for richard:
debconf: DbDriver "config": /var/cache/debconf/config.dat is locked by another process: Resource temporarily unavailable
richard@theSelbys:~$

richie42
August 11th, 2008, 02:58 AM
Okay, I restarted the computer and I posted that code in agai, going through all the actions, I got this:

What does this mean

richard@theSelbys:~$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
[sudo] password for richard:
xserver-xorg postinst warning: overwriting possibly-customised configuration
file; backup in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.20080810215647
richard@theSelbys:~$

richie42
August 11th, 2008, 03:26 AM
Okay, I uninstalled and reinstalled the driver using EnvyNG and it is fine. Now, is there a problem that makes the computer "lose" the driver. This is just creating more questions than are solved. I am going to enable the driver and see what happens from there.

richie42
August 11th, 2008, 03:33 AM
Okay, I restarted the computer after enabling the driver. It is back to the same problem. No, intrestingly, the box that says "in use" is checked in Hardware drivers. Is thre a problem here, yes there is. Now, I need help in getting this graphics problem fixed.

richie42
August 11th, 2008, 04:25 AM
bump, Please i need help

tuxxy
August 11th, 2008, 05:41 AM
If the driver works when you install through envy you could try reconfiguring the xorg and follow the process through, now install through envy and dont use the system > admin >hardware drivers?

pietjanjaap
August 11th, 2008, 12:58 PM
With ubuntu 8.04, dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg is not the same anymore, now you can install your keybord and more with this.
But your videocard and monitor goes like this,
start in safe mode,
choose the last options with the "Try to fix X-server",
Here ubuntu will search and identify your monitor and videocard, so you have all your posssible settings.
Then reboot and install your videcard driver.(i use envy for this).

edog76
August 12th, 2008, 01:57 AM
You might try something along the lines I did, as your problem sounds similar.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=884395

EDIT: I'm a noob, so I can't do much more than offer my own learning experience.