PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] SATA II drive not detected on install

demon-fox
August 10th, 2008, 11:52 PM
Hello All,
wanted to experience the world of linux, hence got myself a new SATA 2 drive (hitachi 400GB)
HAve read around the web and wanted to dual boot with ubuntu on the new hard disk and vista present on the old one.
i got a 64bit intel dual core processor and tired installing ubuntu with little sucess.
its gives me a couple of revalidation errors and continues with the install, the problem is when it comes to the partition. it doesnt give me any options, its blank. i can safely conclude that the cables are good, well connected and the hard disk is functional. The partition mananger on the live session doesnt want to recognise any drive either.
I succesfuuly manager to install ubuntu on a older machine of mine with no problems.
Would be gratful for any suggestions or solutions.
Many thanks

Crafty Kisses
August 10th, 2008, 11:59 PM
Post the output of
sudo fdisk -l

demon-fox
August 14th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Post the output of
sudo fdisk -l
thank you codename,
i've been pondering on how to run sudo fdisk -l for a while.
as you know i cant seem to install the hard disk cause it ubuntu does not want to recognise it. Tried running the command from the live session user and there was no output, just jumps to the next line.
Intresetingly i have been trying to install both ubuntu versions, the 64 bit or 32 bit neither worked and gave me similar revalidation errors.
Just as a final slog i tired the 32 bit version and it recognised the hard disk the next day, i hadnt changed anything, well completed the installation and ubuntu boot loader kicks in when i start the computer.
but sadly the systems just hands when i ttried to boot from the new hard disk with ubuntu.
any thoughts, pr do you think novices like me should just bear with windows :)

power.supply
September 3rd, 2008, 12:30 AM
I have the exact same problem. I am running an Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 with a Seagate 160GB SATA II HDD, Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L motherboard. Any help would be great. I don't know if this is an issue but I am using an IDE Sony DVD Burner along with this drive. Could this be causing a conflict?

Crafty Kisses
September 3rd, 2008, 05:24 AM
Personally if you are novice at Linux and want to use it, stick with it. If you don't want to cope with the learning curve, maybe Linux isn't for you.

brentoboy
September 3rd, 2008, 05:36 AM
1st thing: Check the BIOS to see if the drive is recognized by the system at all. If BIOS doesn't see it, it is not going to work with any operating system. You can get into the BIOS by hitting F2 or DEL or F1 or... depends on the motherboard you have which button takes you to BIOS. But look for the message to "click ___ to enter setup."

Anyway, pop out the drive and read the fine print. There is probably a jumper you can put across a couple of pins that makes it compatible with the older SATA. I know that there was a jumper that makes a SATA 3.0 behave like a SATA 1.5 for older motherboards, perhaps there is a similar jumper on your HDD.

Either way, it wont show up in ubuntu until it shows up in the BIOS.

If it shows up in the BIOS but not in ubuntu, you might have a really new SATA chipset, and it might not be supported until the next round of ubuntu. I had a sata cdrom drive that didnt work until breezy came out.

Liviu-Theodor
September 3rd, 2008, 09:56 AM
First check in your BIOS (when you start-up your PC, after detecting the video card, before detecting the IDE drives, is a message Press <key> to enter setup... - press that <key>) if the SATA connection are enabled, and if they are used as SATA, not RAID devices.

zavalita
September 4th, 2008, 06:02 PM
Personally if you are novice at Linux and want to use it, stick with it. If you don't want to cope with the learning curve, maybe Linux isn't for you.

Hello, I have a related issue, my SATA RAID drives from my Abit MB aren't seen when I play the Live CD. I have a hardware RAID, of course. Ubuntu sees the other two 'normal' drives,even automount them (that was cool) but not the ones connected by RAID.
Also a funny one : I've installed Opera, the best internet tool ever;) and though the installation worked like a charm , I couldn't find the shortcut or even the program itself at all. I've searched the whole damn Ubuntu, and all the applications and my Opera was nowhere to be found. Very strange ! And I need that browser !

cariboo
September 4th, 2008, 06:27 PM
Have you tried Alt-F2 or a terminal to start opera? Most applcations get installed in /usr/bin. to find an installed program in a terminal type:

locate opera

After you have located the program you can manually create a link to it in the main menu.

Jim

Liviu-Theodor
September 5th, 2008, 07:00 AM
Hello, I have a related issue, my SATA RAID drives from my Abit MB aren't seen when I play the Live CD. I have a hardware RAID, of course. Ubuntu sees the other two 'normal' drives,even automount them (that was cool) but not the ones connected by RAID.
Also a funny one : I've installed Opera, the best internet tool ever;) and though the installation worked like a charm , I couldn't find the shortcut or even the program itself at all. I've searched the whole damn Ubuntu, and all the applications and my Opera was nowhere to be found. Very strange ! And I need that browser !

This is a very known issue, and probably you have a "fake RAID", integrated on the motherboard. This means you must have a software for RAID, and the CPU does the work (not the RAID controller). You can find help on https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FakeRaidHowto.

Liviu-Theodor
September 5th, 2008, 07:39 AM

If you want to use the software ubuntu RAID, make sure you back-up any data on the fake RAID before, as it will wipe out any data on it. And it is better to use for it the "ubuntu alternate live CD" or the "ubuntu dvd" (or kubuntu, or xubuntu, or edubuntu). And you can search for answers also on the https://help.ubuntu.com/.

And from there I reccomend the following pages:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FileServerWithRAID
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/RAID1
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SoftwareRAID