PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] One wireless card works but the other doesn't...

nodnarb83
August 10th, 2008, 10:14 PM
A little while ago I posted about having trouble with the Belkin F5D8073 Wireless N ExpressCard not working in Ubuntu. After about four days of frustration I bought a D-Link DWA-130 (which is a usb) and loaded the driver in ndiswrapper and it works just fine. Any idea why one card would work and not the other? Is there much of a difference between a USB connection and a ExpressCard that slides into the laptop? I would prefer to use the Belkin because it doesn't stick out as far.

Crafty Kisses
August 10th, 2008, 10:17 PM
That could be the issue, and some cards are just not supported Linux. Most of them usually are and even if there not a Ndiswrapper could easily make them, but some just arn't. I know a lot of people have troubles with Belkin though.

nodnarb83
August 10th, 2008, 10:20 PM
According to this thread it should work just fine, though.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=539533

Has anyone ever heard of .inf files being the problems?

I downloaded mine off the internet because I didn't have the actual CD.

Crafty Kisses
August 10th, 2008, 10:24 PM
According to this thread it should work just fine, though.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=539533

Has anyone ever heard of .inf files being the problems?

I downloaded mine off the internet because I didn't have the actual CD.

Not saying that card would or would not work, just saying in general people have a lot of trouble with Belkin, I know I did, and I've helped numerous people on this forum with Belkin issues.

nodnarb83
August 10th, 2008, 10:28 PM
So it could possibly be the card that I have? That would actually make sense because the guy I talked to at Best Buy said that he knows of some customers that have sworn to never buy Belkin products. I have only had it a week, so I'll probably take it back. Thanks for your help.

Crafty Kisses
August 10th, 2008, 10:31 PM
So it could possibly be the card that I have? That would actually make sense because the guy I talked to at Best Buy said that he knows of some customers that have sworn to never buy Belkin products. I have only had it a week, so I'll probably take it back. Thanks for your help.

No problem, I'm betting the issue was with the card itself, but yeah no problem.