PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] YouTube video quit working + strange discoveries

jfbays
August 10th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Here is my problem: I cannot play videos on YouTube. I have Hardy fully installed and updated, and I have flashplugin-nonfree installed. For a week I was able to play video on YouTube, but, for some reason, it quit. That is: when I click on a video, the YouTube player does not even show up (otherwise everything else seems normal, even the flash rollovers).

Now for the really strange part of the problem: I can play video and flash content from anywhere else. I can even play YouTube videos through/from/within Google Video, but not within YouTube. I have also just discovered that, if I go into the YouTube Help Center, I can play the videos there. But, for some reason, it seems, I cannot play video through the YouTube Videos or Channels areas.

One last discovery: YouTube is apparently making some changes. When I go into YouTube Help, the Tabs still read: HOME VIDEOS CHANNELS COMMUNITY, and the Help videos play. But, when I go anywhere else in YouTube the Tabs read: HOME VIDEOS USERS COMMUNITY, but no videos will play.

Any thoughts and/or fixes on this? Anybody else having this problem? Please Help...

Crafty Kisses
August 10th, 2008, 10:07 PM
You could technically remove flash and reinstall it, I'd also recommend trying Opera and see if you still have the same issue.

Flyingjester
August 10th, 2008, 10:08 PM
you could technically remove flash and reinstall it, i'd also recommend trying opera and see if you still have the same issue.

+1

jfbays
August 10th, 2008, 10:28 PM
I did re-install the flashplugin-nonfree a couple of times, but, so far it hasn't helped.

I may try another browser, but I like firefox...

spiderbatdad
August 10th, 2008, 10:31 PM
seamonkey is my favorite. You can install it through the iceape packages in synaptic. It is a sibling of firefox....mozilla. Has themes and many of the most popular add-ons.

jfbays
August 11th, 2008, 01:26 AM
I uninstalled firefox 3 (+ everything associated with it) and installed firefox 2 (firefox-2 + firefox-2-gnome-support). Things seem to be working, YouTube videos play, but I did like the look and feel of firefox 3. Perhaps I can reinstall ver. 3 sometime in the future...

jfbays
August 11th, 2008, 03:11 AM
I looked into the Synaptic Package Manager, searched for Firefox, and looked at everything that came up. I found that the Totem-mozilla (player) was installed. I suspect(ed) that there might have been some sort of conflict with the Shockwave Flash player, so I un-installed Totem-mozilla (along with Firefox-2), and re-installed Firefox-3 (along with it's support components). YouTube videos now play in Firefox 3...

All of this maybe co-incidence, but I'm back to using Firefox 3 and I can watch videos on YouTube...at least for now...

Another thought: all of this happened after I installed youtube-dl and downloaded a video from YouTube...

Crafty Kisses
August 11th, 2008, 03:27 AM
seamonkey is my favorite. You can install it through the iceape packages in synaptic. It is a sibling of firefox....mozilla. Has themes and many of the most popular add-ons.

Yeah SeaMonkey is really good as well.