PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] MP3 or OGG?

Tom_ZeCat
August 10th, 2008, 07:11 PM
In my music collection I’ve had an MP3 only policy. I had purchased songs from sources such as Napster, iTunes, and others before I realized there was such a thing as DRM and that the files they sold me were restricted. Annoyed, but undeterred, I researched the situation and figured out how to convert all my WMA, M4A, and M4P files into MP3. If a song was in my music collection, it had to be an MP3, end of story. I did it this way to make certain I never had any issues with my files being unplayable in any audio devices.

And I feel absolutely zero pangs of guilt over breaking the DRM in my music files. I paid for every single one of them and therefore have the right to enjoy them in any digital device I choose. This was all in Windows, btw. I did this before I got turned on to Linux.

When I did get Linux, I used it and Amarok to create an Ubuntu-based juke box PC with the entire 23 GB collection in MP3 format. All these files were either ripped to MP3 from CDs or converted from a DRM format to MP3 on my Windows XP machine. So today I brought home a music CD and decided to rip it to MP3 for the first time on my Ubuntu PC.

I booted up K3B, which has worked great for burning CDs for me. I found its rip from CD feature, but was annoyed that it didn’t appear to have the ability to rip to MP3. Instead, it ripped to a format I was not familiar with, OGG. My first thought was that K3B, like Napster and iTunes, had reached some kind of DRM agreement with the recording industry. However, I googled OGG, and it turns out it’s not a DRM format, but rather is an unrestricted format like MP3, but unlike MP3s is not patent restricted (whatever that means).

The format appears to play great in Amarok. I ripped the album to OOG in K3B and also ripped it to MP3 on my Windows PC. I can’t tell any sound quality difference between the MP3s and the OGGs, though the OGGs are a little bit smaller.

I’m thinking of changing my MP3 only policy to MP3 or OGG only. Turns out the same program on my Windows PC that converted all my DRM-based audio files to MP3 will convert them to OGGs. In addition, it will convert my MP3s to OGGs and vice versa. I could conceivably convert my whole collection to OGG, but it would be A LOT of work. We’re talking 23 gig worth of music here. I’m thinking maybe my best bet is to use OGG for any new music that I add and to just leave all previous files in MP3 format. And if I ever get a device that won’t play OGGs, my conversion program will convert them to MP3s.

So my questions are as follows:

1. Is there any down side to using the OGG format that I’m not aware of?
2. Is there any benefit to converting my MP3 collection to OGGs? I did notice that Amarok occasionally comes across an MP3 that it doesn’t like and then crashes. Up till now, I’ve converted such a file to a WAV and then back to MP3 and then Amarok is okay with it. Maybe Amarok is more stable with OGGs?
3. MP3s are patent restricted? Say what? I thought MP3s were a totally DRM free format that anyone had the right to use as long as he legally acquired the song.

I welcome all comments and appreciate the help.

SuperSonic4
August 10th, 2008, 07:17 PM
1) An external player (such as an iPod) may not support OGG whereas mp3 is pretty mute universal

2) Not really, unless you have the CDs/wav files. You will lose some fidelity. I'm unsure about Amarok and OGG files. Just for the record converting to wav from mp3 is pointless (you're adding in nothing) you will lose fidelty when transferring unless wav is the original file. Perl Audio converter is a great KDE app (I assume KDE since you have k3b and amarok) for transcoding.

3) It means that MP3 is owned by a company and the coding behind what we call mp3 is owned and thus, in theory, can be changed or removed without notice to the end users. OGG has no patents and is thus most like an open source format

lukjad
August 10th, 2008, 07:28 PM
I personally have a .wav or .ogg policy. If I copy music and need to convert it into a lossy format, since I use Linux, I find OGG is easier for most programs to handle. I find it annoying when a program refuses to play a certain music file because it is in a proprietary format. So, the choice is yours. The simplest idea is to just keep with what you have until you get fed up (if you ever do) and for the new converts have them all be OGG or MP3. Just keep your files the same format all over to save you headaches.

silkstone
August 10th, 2008, 08:05 PM
It is not a good idea to convert from one compressed/lossy format to another - the quality will be degraded.

I like the idea of OGG but unfortunately many portable players don't support it, so I tend to use MP3 or even WMA.

Cope57
August 10th, 2008, 08:13 PM
For a given file size, Vorbis sounds better than MP3. This means:

You can keep your music collection at about the same quality level, but it'll take up less space
or you can have your music collection take up about the same amount of space, but have it sound better.
Vorbis already enjoys widespread support in audio software and many digital portable players support it as well.
Portable Players (http://wiki.xiph.org/index.php/PortablePlayers) that support .ogg.