PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ndiswrapper problem - HH 8.04 64-bit - MBP 3,1

ZCos
August 10th, 2008, 04:55 AM
First, a big thank you to all of you who have unwittingly answered a lot of my questions. Also, apologies for my complete ignorance of Linux. I've been learning at the school of hard-knocks...

I'm triple-booting a MBP 3,1 with Vista 64-bit and HH 8.04 64-bit.

ms@mbp:~/madwifi$ uname -a
Linux mbp 2.6.24-20-generic #1 SMP Mon Jul 28 13:06:07 UTC 2008 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Initially, I was using the Madwifi pre-release drivers for my Atheros card and they worked fine. While trying unsuccessfully to get the coretemp sensor to work, I somehow disabled the Atheros. So I uninstalled Madwifi, including undoing the edits to /etc/rc.local and /etc/default/acpi-support.

I followed the MacBook [https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBook#Wireless] installation instructions along with the readme for v. 1.53. The first issue I ran into was that my output from

ls /lib/modules/'uname -r' /build

did have an "include" directory but did not have a ".config" file. After googling, I was left with impression that I might need to create a symbolic link of some kind but went ahead with the install. (This sounds even lamer as I write it but I thought it might be fixable after the fact.) FWIW, this is what the output looks like now:

ms@mbp:~$ ls /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build

arch Documentation include Kbuild Makefile net security
block drivers init kernel mm samples sound
crypto fs ipc lib Module.symvers scripts usr

I seemed to be able to proceed with the installation:

ms@mbp:~/Installers/ndiswrapper-1.53$ mkdir ~/atheros
ms@mbp:~/Installers/ndiswrapper-1.53$ unrar x AtherosXPInstaller.exe ~/atheros/

UNRAR 3.71 beta 1 freeware Copyright (c) 1993-2007 Alexander Roshal

Extracting from AtherosXPInstaller.exe

Setup=DPInst.exe
Silent=1
TempMode

Extracting /home/ms/atheros/net5211.inf OK
Extracting /home/ms/atheros/net5416.inf OK
Extracting /home/ms/atheros/DPInst.exe OK
Extracting /home/ms/atheros/ar5211.sys OK
Extracting /home/ms/atheros/ar5416.sys OK
Extracting /home/ms/atheros/net5211.cat OK
Extracting /home/ms/atheros/net5416.cat OK
Extracting /home/ms/atheros/DPInst.xml OK
All OK
ms@mbp:~/Installers/ndiswrapper-1.53$ sudo ndiswrapper -i "~/atheros/net5416.inf"
couldn't open ~/atheros/net5416.inf: No such file or directory at /usr/sbin/ndiswrapper-1.9 line 219.
ms@mbp:~/Installers/ndiswrapper-1.53$
ms@mbp:~/Installers/ndiswrapper-1.53$ sudo ndiswrapper -i '/home/ms/atheros/net5416.inf'
installing net5416 ...
forcing parameter MapRegisters from 256 to 64
ms@mbp:~/Installers/ndiswrapper-1.53$ ndiswrapper-l
bash: ndiswrapper-l: command not found
ms@mbp:~/Installers/ndiswrapper-1.53$ ndiswrapper -l
net5416 : driver installed
device (168C:0024) present
netathrx : driver installed
device (168C:0024) present

However, at the last step, it looks as if ndiswrapper.ko didn't make it into /lib/modules/2.6.24-20-generic/misc/ and no wireless networks are being recognized.

ms@mbp:~/Installers/ndiswrapper-1.53$ sudo modprobe ndiswrapper
FATAL: Could not open '/lib/modules/2.6.24-20-generic/misc/ndiswrapper.ko': No such file or directory

I apologize if this unclear but I'm beginning to lose it. Thanks again for your help.

cyberdork33
August 10th, 2008, 06:24 AM
First, you should probably use the page for MBP instead of the Macbook (not that it should actually matter in this instance...)
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookPro

Second have you tried rebooting? Have you tried just reinstalling madwifi? have you tried ath9k (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=5545069&postcount=5)?

ZCos
August 10th, 2008, 03:16 PM
First, you should probably use the page for MBP instead of the Macbook (not that it should actually matter in this instance...)
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MacBookPro

Second have you tried rebooting? Have you tried just reinstalling madwifi? have you tried ath9k (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=5545069&postcount=5)?

I think I used the Macbook page because the MBP page didn't have any step by step instructions on ndiswrapper but I could be wrong. I did reboot w/o any success and will reinstall madwifi rather than put a lot of time into ndiswrapper. I read about the ath9k driver right after I posted. It sounds like an ideal solution but can install it using with my current kernel or do I need to downgrade first?

cyberdork33
August 10th, 2008, 04:04 PM
I think I used the Macbook page because the MBP page didn't have any step by step instructions on ndiswrapper but I could be wrong. I did reboot w/o any success and will reinstall madwifi rather than put a lot of time into ndiswrapper. I read about the ath9k driver right after I posted. It sounds like an ideal solution but can install it using with my current kernel or do I need to downgrade first?
I think you are right about the ndiswrapper instructions, but I did not understand that this is what you were seeking there...

you can try installing and see if you get an error, but 2.6.24-19 is the latest stable kernel so it would be best to stick with that anyway. Is there a reason that you have installed the -20 kernel?

ZCos
August 10th, 2008, 09:17 PM
I think you are right about the ndiswrapper instructions, but I did not understand that this is what you were seeking there...

you can try installing and see if you get an error, but 2.6.24-19 is the latest stable kernel so it would be best to stick with that anyway. Is there a reason that you have installed the -20 kernel?

I just booted into 2.6.24-19 and my wireless returned. I'm guessing that the original problem with Madwifi may also have been related to using the 2.6.24-20 kernel. Lesson learned and thanks!!!

cyberdork33
August 11th, 2008, 02:44 AM
I just booted into 2.6.24-19 and my wireless returned. I'm guessing that the original problem with Madwifi may also have been related to using the 2.6.24-20 kernel. Lesson learned and thanks!!!
ah yes, in that case, pretty much anything that you compile against a kernel version will break when you upgrade the kernel and they will need to be compiled again (against your new kernel). Just FYI!