PDA

View Full Version : Please review thread for Minority Bashing

HotShotDJ
August 9th, 2008, 05:51 AM
I reported THIS (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=883927) thread several hours ago for the gratuitous derogation of gay people. Based on the lack of action by the forum staff, I am left to conclude that this behavior is permissible. (When similar issues arise regarding race, moderation usually occurs within minutes of pressing the "report" button.)

While I realize there is nothing wrong with the word "Gay," it is the context that makes it inappropriate (also not that it was escalated by others to "***."). Try this mental experiment... replace the word "Gay" with the word "Black" or "Catholic" or "Muslim" or "Asian" (you get the idea) in the following sentence: That article was _____. Again, keep in mind the negative context. The poster clearly was not trying to say that the article was bright, cheery, or homosexual. Further, the derogation escalated with "gay" being replaced by "***" in later posts.

EDIT: OOPS -- Please move this to the Resolution Center. I apologize for posting it in the wrong place.

Perhaps moderators have just not been available this evening and haven't gotten to it. If this is the case, I apologize for the double reporting (once with the "report" button and again with this post.)

BLTicklemonster
August 9th, 2008, 06:02 AM
Your avatar bashes someone, and you post this... that just makes my eyebrow raise for some reason.

And to me, it's a stretch to call that bashing. Meanspirited in a funny way, but heck, I've heard gay people say, "that's sooooo gay" before, what do I do, report them?

Oldsoldier2003
August 9th, 2008, 06:24 AM
Moved to RC.
For the admins:http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=884195

LaRoza
August 9th, 2008, 06:26 AM
I reported THIS (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=883927) thread several hours ago for the gratuitous derogation of gay people. Based on the lack of action by the forum staff, I am left to conclude that this behavior is permissible. (When similar issues arise regarding race, moderation usually occurs within minutes of pressing the "report" button.)
Don't make assumptions from inactivity ;)

The report was received, and I responded to it (the report, not the thread) and put forth my opinion on the matter and someone responded. It seems we thought the other would act and forgot it (it happens).

EDIT: OOPS -- Please move this to the Resolution Center. I apologize for posting it in the wrong place.

Perhaps moderators have just not been available this evening and haven't gotten to it. If this is the case, I apologize for the double reporting (once with the "report" button and again with this post.)

I'll deal with it. Although the posts are deliberately being ignorant (read youtube comments), they are not really appropriate even as jokes.

LaRoza
August 9th, 2008, 06:29 AM
Your avatar bashes someone, and you post this... that just makes my eyebrow raise for some reason.

And to me, it's a stretch to call that bashing. Meanspirited in a funny way, but heck, I've heard gay people say, "that's sooooo gay" before, what do I do, report them?

Good point. We try to keep politics out of avatars and sigs, so you may want to address that whoever has the avatar.

HotShotDJ
August 9th, 2008, 06:40 AM
The report was received, and I responded to it (the report, not the thread) and put forth my opinion on the matter and someone responded. It seems we thought the other would act and forgot it (it happens)Indeed... even with the best of intentions, sometimes things fall through the cracks. Thank you for dealing with the issue.

KiwiNZ
August 9th, 2008, 06:44 AM
As the Thread is a waste of bandwidth it has been dealt with