PDA

View Full Version : How is Kubuntu?

bulldogzerofive
November 10th, 2005, 01:43 PM
Hey all,

i am sure that this thread exists somewhere on the forums already, but i can't find it; maybe i am going blind. I apologize for the reposting. A link would be helpful...

Anyway, basically, i was wondering if somebody who has used Kubuntu could share their experiences with me.

I started using GNU/Linux a little over a year ago with Mandrake, but is was just too... well, buggy. Things would just crash, my video card never worked right, and rpms were not that nice.

So, i switched to Ubuntu, and fell in love. Except for a few small issues, things work like the documentation says they will (and apt is way better than urpmi, IMHO), and the community support is wonderful.

However, i really liked some of the KDE apps (k3b, amarok, among others) more than their Gnome alternatives. I also liked the way it is laid out in general, but i can tweak that on my own. I have tried to install some of my favorites for KDE and run them on the Gnome desktop, but they usually do not work right, and i don't want to spend the time tweaking if simply using Kubuntu instead of Ubuntu when i upgrade to 5.10 will solve these issues. Besides, the KDE fonts look funny in gnome. Again, an easy tweak, but a pain.

Basically, i want to go back to KDE. My questions then, are these:

Was the buggy experience i had in Mandrake because of Mandrake or KDE? Is Kubuntu buggy?

Does Kubuntu, as a sub-branch of Ubuntu, have the wonderfully integrated packages and (on a smaller scale) friendly support that Ubuntu proper does or is it a red-headed stepchild?

Should i instead head over to debian itself for KDE?

Is it worth switching to Kubuntu?

Thanks in advance to anybody who answers this.

Take care
mat

Orunitia
November 10th, 2005, 01:46 PM
sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

:P Just try it for yourself. Kubuntu works great, it's all about preference.

Stealth
November 10th, 2005, 01:58 PM
I have Ubuntu and Kubuntu installed, both work fine. Even though I used to be a KDE kinda guy, I've grown to like GNOME quite a bit, but do miss using the apps like Amarok in their native environment ;) Either way, Kubuntu is just as kool :D

panickedthumb
November 10th, 2005, 04:51 PM
yeah, they're built on the same system, all you have to do is apt-get install it like Orunitia said. I think you'll be pleased. The kubuntu team has even done wonders with taking all the control panels and making them easier to use. See my thread "So I apoligize..." which I wrote after I realized how awesome Kubuntu is. Still not my #1 choice, but I do like it.

earobinson
November 10th, 2005, 04:55 PM
all this kde talk is makeing me want to try it again.

victorche
November 10th, 2005, 04:57 PM
Kubuntu has the worst KDE I've ever used. See my topic about it:
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=88484

panickedthumb
November 10th, 2005, 05:05 PM
one man's opinion. I find it to be better than any, with the possible exception of just plain KDE with no enhancements.

victorche
November 10th, 2005, 05:11 PM
one man's opinion. I find it to be better than any, with the possible exception of just plain KDE with no enhancements.
So, you're using another Kubuntu, then ;)
I don't want to argue, but see the Kubuntu forums. The bugs are well known, so they are not discovered by me. Even some of the devs admit it and say that "there is a lots of work on Kubuntu's KDE to make it bug free" :)

So, really a looooots of work I can say...

teaker1s
November 10th, 2005, 05:14 PM
little buggy at first so I have kde and gnome but with updates and k7 kernel it's quite good

panickedthumb
November 10th, 2005, 05:26 PM
Sure it's buggy, but the implementation and design ideas are great. The only KDE implementation I have used that didn't have a lot of bugs was straight up KDE with no real modifications.

Wolveen
November 10th, 2005, 05:27 PM
Actually there is quite a buzz going on about Kubuntu.

Mark Shuttleworth has said he would like to see KDE within Kubuntu to do more.
From what I read, Mark wants to add more resources to the Kubuntu side of things bringing up to par with Ubuntu.

Seeing what an awesome job they have done with Ubuntu I cant wait until Kubuntu gets some of this lovin'. Kubuntu seems lacking from its counterpart in so many ways.

Meanwhile I dual boot into SUSE for my Eye candy fix, even though SUSE will be dropping KDE in thier next version, odd...SUSE drops KDE and (K)Ubuntu is gonna run with it. I do find SUSE more polished and alot more friendly than Kubuntu. So I will be eagerly awaiting on the new Kubuntu :D

panickedthumb
November 10th, 2005, 05:29 PM
OpenSUSE will still keep up development on/with KDE, Novell just isn't going to use it for their business products.

victorche
November 10th, 2005, 05:30 PM
Sure it's buggy, but the implementation and design ideas are great. The only KDE implementation I have used that didn't have a lot of bugs was straight up KDE with no real modifications.
Design ideas... Yes.
But anyway it is Linux and everything is possible ;) So you can make a straight up KDE to look like whatever you want.
Slackware's KDE is so straight and clean, but has far less bugs than Kubuntu's...
Which is sad, because I really wanted to use it. I like the community idea, the apt-get idea...
But with so many bugs... Thanks, but no thanks.

panickedthumb
November 10th, 2005, 05:44 PM
Design ideas... Yes.
But anyway it is Linux and everything is possible ;) So you can make a straight up KDE to look like whatever you want.
Slackware's KDE is so straight and clean, but has far less bugs than Kubuntu's...
Which is sad, because I really wanted to use it. I like the community idea, the apt-get idea...
But with so many bugs... Thanks, but no thanks.
you might have more luck with Debian. You still get apt-get, and a straight up KDE.

bulldogzerofive
November 16th, 2005, 03:56 PM
hey thanks all i am going to install it this weekend. Think i'll add the kubuntu desktop to Ubuntu after the fact anyway... the Kubuntu BitTorrent that i tried was too slow for my poor pay-by-the-hour DSL connection and the direct download was (understandably) no better.

Thanks again!

bulldogzerofive
November 21st, 2005, 09:58 PM
Update:

Kubuntu is the bomb. It really is.

Aenyn
November 30th, 2005, 05:31 PM
I hate to bump an old thread, but I figure this is the best thing to do. I'd like to give KDE A try, but am really unwilling to go thru the hassle of redoing all of my network settings. I'm assuming I can
sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop try it, make a decision and if I don't like it just do a

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop and be back in gnome?

lerrup
November 30th, 2005, 06:05 PM
It's even less hassle than that.

Once you have installed Kubuntu, when you are at the log in screen you can choose (from the session tab) whether you want to use KDE or Gnome. therefore you can carry on as before and take day trips to KDE-land when you want.

Also, check out the new version of KDE 3.5, if you decide to keep Kubuntu as its a bit sharper.

Aenyn
November 30th, 2005, 07:03 PM
and by "install kbunutu" you mean via apt-get?

GeneralZod
November 30th, 2005, 07:15 PM
and by "install kbunutu" you mean via apt-get?

Yep - via

sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

as you noted :)

Aenyn
November 30th, 2005, 07:18 PM
sweeeeeeet. Now I'm excited to get home.

Aenyn
November 30th, 2005, 07:51 PM
actually, silly question...

All of the backend software (Java and the likes) and changes to files (my bad_list, resolv.conf and other junk) will remain the same?

veloct
November 30th, 2005, 08:13 PM
I think I'm going to give it a try now that KDE 3.5 is out. I like GNOME because I'm a Mac guy and it gives me the closest thing to a Mac visually.

GeneralZod
November 30th, 2005, 09:30 PM
actually, silly question...

All of the backend software (Java and the likes) and changes to files (my bad_list, resolv.conf and other junk) will remain the same?

Yes, these should be completely untouched. You're basically just adding an additional desktop shell to your install. The modularity of Linux means that this should have neglible effects on other components.

Xian
November 30th, 2005, 09:43 PM
I'm not a big fan of KDE, but I did try Kubuntu in the Hoary version. Can't say as it did much to change my opinion. I might try it again in Breezy, but I still see a lot of posts here regarding some nasty bugs, and the gnome menu entries getting borked, so I think I will wait this one out a bit further.