PDA

View Full Version : Requesting thoughts and suggestions on my new wallpaper.

eightmillion
August 8th, 2008, 08:08 PM
I just threw this together. What's everyone think?

Squid Tamer
August 9th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Looks great.:)

eightmillion
August 9th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Thanks.

vonweizer
August 9th, 2008, 11:04 PM
Nice

Babbage
August 10th, 2008, 01:15 AM
I like it although I don't like the Ubuntu logo on my desktop, too corporate and overkill for me, even MS don't put their logo on their default desktop. I like the pattern although maybe more irregular less symmetrical would be good. It's subtle and not distracting, that's good :)

era86
August 10th, 2008, 07:04 PM
This is cool. I like the logo on the first one, it is slightly more subtle.

lukjad007
August 10th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Not bad. If I could make a suggestion, maybe putting the logo and the word Ubuntu on the right hand screen as an option? That way the files on the desktop would be less likely to obcure the writing.

Just a thought.

(PS What art program did you use, Inkscape or GIMP?)

Danw12
August 10th, 2008, 07:10 PM
Great! If you want somthing to do, mabee try changing the hue/saturation (colour)
:KS

Jeeeep
August 10th, 2008, 09:40 PM
It's simple... But hey, simple is good. Sometimes when you come home from a hard day, you want to be greeted by something nice and easy on the eyes to let the stress just melt away.

I wouldn't use it myself though. Why? First, I absolutely loath text on my background. Hate it hate it hate it. That logo is a no-no. Second, it has far too much empty space. That big white area at the top, for example? It's just screaming "Put more abstract curvy things up here!! I'm lonely!"

But it has its merits, to be certain.

eightmillion
August 10th, 2008, 09:44 PM
(PS What art program did you use, Inkscape or GIMP?)
I used Gimp. It would be easy enough to recreate in Inkscape. I can post the xcf file if anyone wants to mess with it.

Great! If you want somthing to do, mabee try changing the hue/saturation (colour)

Thanks. I have to say that I'm happy with the colors. I did crank up the blue, though, and created a kubuntu version.

lukjad007
August 10th, 2008, 10:20 PM
The xcf file would be great. Thanks!

eightmillion
August 10th, 2008, 10:29 PM
Ok, this is a link (http://www.filedropper.com/ibex2) to the xcf file. It's a bit messy. You can get the font through apt:

sudo apt-get install ttf-ubuntu-title

lukjad007
August 10th, 2008, 11:43 PM
Say, have you tried GIMP 2.5.0? I am testing it and it is really interesting.

eightmillion
August 11th, 2008, 12:02 AM
I haven't, but I'm building it right now. Looks interesting.

starcannon
August 11th, 2008, 12:05 AM
Very nice, elegant. I'm putting them on my asus Eee right now.

Thanks loads for sharing your creativity.

eightmillion
August 11th, 2008, 12:18 AM
Very nice, elegant. I'm putting them on my asus Eee right now.

Thanks loads for sharing your creativity.

Thank you very much.

SphereCat1
August 11th, 2008, 08:12 PM
These are really nice! Just a thought, what if you made one with the logo peeking up over the hill, like a sunrise?

SphereCat1

Danw12
August 11th, 2008, 08:16 PM
Like The Kubuntu Version aswell. [At least someone listens to me]

:)

eightmillion
August 11th, 2008, 11:37 PM
Say, have you tried GIMP 2.5.0? I am testing it and it is really interesting.
I installed Gimp 2.5.0 and I have to say I'm impressed. It hasn't crashed on me one time, which is much better than 2.4.6 and surprising for a development release. The thing I'm really surprised about is the polygon select tool. Why did it take the developers this long to include it?

These are really nice! Just a thought, what if you made one with the logo peeking up over the hill, like a sunrise?
SphereCat1
Thanks, I'll give your idea a whirl and see what I come up with.

Crafty Kisses
August 12th, 2008, 09:10 PM
I just threw this together. What's everyone think?

I had one more request, can you put Tux in it?

eightmillion
August 14th, 2008, 05:15 AM
I had one more request, can you put Tux in it?

Is this what you had in mind?

piousp
August 14th, 2008, 05:28 AM
Thats a very good job! The colors are mixed really well and they make a beautiful contrast.
On a second note, I would probably try to add some 'abstract lights and shades' on the top, just to see if that works. But you know, i just got the kubuntu version! kudos

kostkon
August 14th, 2008, 05:52 AM
Really good! Keep up the good work!