PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Secure server wi-fi hotspot without wpa-supplicant, is it possible?

PryGuy
August 8th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Hello there! I'm talking about my Ubuntu server with WI-FI PCI card ('wireless-mode master' in my /etc/network/interfaces on server). So Server is my Ubuntu server PC with WI-FI access point. Client is a WI-Fi equipped notebook. Everything's fine when I connect without a passphrase so my problem is encryption only. A few questions:

1. Is that possible to make a secure WI-FI access point without wpa-supplicant on server?

2. How on earth does the 'wireless-key' parameter in /etc/network/interfaces work? I tried to supply a password in ASCII and I failed connecting from client, I tried to convert it in HEX and I failed again.

3. What type of encryption WI-FI server offers by default? Can I change it or I have to use wpa-supplicant for it?

4. What does the 'iwlist <interface name> key' says when I scan a network from my client? I see a HEX string but it's different from the string that I supply in 'wireless-key' string.

5. Is 'wpa-passphrase' compatible with the 'wireless-key' parameter?

Thank you for your help!

dca
August 8th, 2008, 04:27 PM
I don't quite understand... If you have an access point that only has WEP encryption available (because it may be an older model), then I would think it offers some sort of MAC address filtering that would only allow MAC addressess you add to the list access to that WiFi network.

PryGuy
August 8th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Look, I set up a secure access point on my Ubuntu server with WI-FI PCI card ('wireless-mode master' in my /etc/network/interfaces on server). So Ubuntu server PC is my access point. Everything's fine when I connect without a passphrase so my problem is encryption only. Corrected the previous post.

dca
August 8th, 2008, 04:59 PM
If the card is an older WiFi NIC, it may not offer WPA encryption, only WEP. Some of the older cards that manufacturers still support sometimes offer a firmware upgrade to enable the WPA support.

PryGuy
August 8th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Got what you meant finally... :oops: I've got an atheros based card. Well, anyway, the question remains, is that necessary to use 'wpa-supplicant' on server to go secure?

dca
August 8th, 2008, 05:11 PM
...don't know if this will help or hurt but this article kind of explains using a PC as a WiFi access point...

http://www.linux.com/articles/55617

PryGuy
August 8th, 2008, 05:29 PM
it uses 'wpa-supplicant' also... Thanks anyway...

easyhorpak
August 17th, 2008, 03:10 PM
1. Is that possible to make a secure WI-FI access point without wpa-supplicant on server?

yes, it is.

2. How on earth does the 'wireless-key' parameter in /etc/network/interfaces work? I tried to supply a password in ASCII and I failed connecting from client, I tried to convert it in HEX and I failed again.

no wireless key on server . it 's authen options.

3. What type of encryption WI-FI server offers by default? Can I change it or I have to use wpa-supplicant for it?

no . it 's webpage authen

4. What does the 'iwlist <interface name> key' says when I scan a network from my client? I see a HEX string but it's different from the string that I supply in 'wireless-key' string.

5. Is 'wpa-passphrase' compatible with the 'wireless-key' parameter?

PryGuy
August 18th, 2008, 06:41 AM

no wireless key on server . it 's authen options.You mean?

no . it 's webpage authenWeb page authentication???!!!

lisati
August 18th, 2008, 06:52 AM
There's a tutorial on setting up wireless security at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=202834

Reading through the messages in this thread, I suspect the contributors so far might have been talking at "crossed purposes".

Here's my two cents worth, offered in the hope of helping everyone make sure they are talking about the same thing: Many routers use a browser based method of allowing the user to configure them. The password required to access the configuration "web page" is quite separate from the WEP or WPA passphrase and has nothing to do with wpa-supplicant. The exact details will differ according to the make and model.